Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Sometimes I just want friends to see a bird I photographed, no rules.


BigOly

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, lonestranger said:

DL6A7994-2.thumb.jpg.92dc07140db316325c8ab3f52212cd66.jpg

I was going through my photos and noticed something odd about this Rose-breasted Grosbeak shot from a few weeks ago. Can anyone help me understand why I am seeing green show through where I should be seeing tail?  I see white tail feather tips but instead of those feathers turning black further up the shaft, they're green as if the rest of the feather isn't even there and the background is showing through. There's no photoshop type editing, but it looks like maybe there should be. Did the camera get it wrong, or is there an explanation for the green in the tail that I am missing? I've included the original, unedited photo below. Clicking on the photo will take you to Flickr where clicking on the photo a few more times will fully enlarge it.

 

 

DL6A7994

 

There is also a spot on the wing that looks green.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

There is also a spot on the wing that looks green.

Are you talking about the same green spot creeping into the wing, or a different green spot?  I can see the former but you'll need to be more specific if you mean a different green spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Are you talking about the same green spot creeping into the wing, or a different green spot?  I can see the former but you'll need to be more specific if you mean a different green spot.

 

DL6A7994-2.jpg.ccd1f31dd8008540ef8dad59a8dc5fe4.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a picture but wasn't sure where else to put this. I recently started working on creating my own library of bird calls & songs. I was doing it today & this is what it sounds like when you're recording a Red-eyed Vireo & out of nowhere a Ruby-throated Hummingbird sneaks up on you & tries to land on your microphone. Scared me half to death 😦.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Mocker!! He mimicked 8+ species, the most impressive to me was perfect Killdeer flight calls and California Quail!

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/5821402811800

 

 

They are fun when when you find one that can do a lot of mimicking! Last summer there was one down the road that did an absolutely flawless Chuck-Wills-Widow.  So good I reported it as such before realizing it wasn't one!

Saw another one that was pretty good. Did a Black-chinned Hummer, Killdeer, Great Blue Heron, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It did some others but I can't remember what at this point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They are fun when when you find one that can do a lot of mimicking! Last summer there was one down the road that did an absolutely flawless Chuck-Wills-Widow.  So good I reported it as such before realizing it wasn't one!

Saw another one that was pretty good. Did a Black-chinned Hummer, Killdeer, Great Blue Heron, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It did some others but I can't remember what at this point.

I had forgotten, it was pretty baffling when there was a Painted Bunting singing, in the dead of winter...

It was a mock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, Snake Fingers said:

Nice!

Thanks! Who knew! Here I am at over 60 years old, not a good swimmer and I'm taking pictures of fish, manatee and birds underwater. Feeling blessed!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...