Whatbird Community

I need help identifying flycatchers that I took pictures of.

I have been going through my pictures from last year and trying to figure out what some of them are.  My first batch are flycatchers.  These were all taken in Arkansas. The dates are on the photos.  Thank you in advance.

DSCN0287.JPG

DSCN4597.JPG

DSCN5680.JPG

DSCN5715.JPG

DSCN5723.JPG

It's possible the bird from 8/2 is the same bird in the last two 8/6 photos.  It's normal for a bird to prefer specific perches.  I can't visually distinguish between the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that come to my feeders, but I can tell them apart when each flies to its preferred branch.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, Seanbirds said:

You will. The more you practice, the more you’ll get right. Glad we could help! :classic_wink:

Some birds take a lot of practice... and, some people require more than others. ha.
I'm looking at these and, some look easy... some, not so much. The one on 8/2, one of the things I look for in a pewee is the upper and lower bill being different colors. what would distinguish that one from, say a olive-sided flycatcher? Is it the fact that the vest is "soft" like someone mentioned? Rather than that looks a bit more "sharpened?"  Comparing in a field guide I can see differences... but I still need practice...
like the last two profiles are dark and not a lot of detail is shown... what in those pictures says pewee?
I'm not challenging the ID's at all... but these are photos that I might bring here myself as I think I would have been stumped on a few...
In the field I can rely on other things such as behavior and, hopefully, calls...  if they're talking to me it makes it a lot easier. HA

And welcome Brenda... I'm in Benton county... if you're ever in the NW part of the state and want to know good places to bird I can point you in the right direction.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, millipede said:

The one on 8/2, one of the things I look for in a pewee is the upper and lower bill being different colors. what would distinguish that one from, say a olive-sided flycatcher? Is it the fact that the vest is "soft" like someone mentioned? Rather than that looks a bit more "sharpened?" 

Yes, Olive-sideds have darker bills and more contrast between the white throat and belly and the dark vest.

19 minutes ago, millipede said:

like the last two profiles are dark and not a lot of detail is shown... what in those pictures says pewee?

The shape and color.  Olive-sideds have larger heads and bills and shorter tails.

• Like 1