Whatbird Community

Recorded this today. Ok, I am new at audio recordings and forgot to not move my hand, so it’s all messed up and hard to hear. Oh well, I learned my lesson I guess...... The noises in here are a mixture of kids screaming, the movement of my hand, and wind, and birds. The birds calling, which hopefully you can hear, are rails of some sort. Are they Sora or Virginia Rail?? Taken today in orange, California 

thanks and sorry about the poor recording

New Recording.m4a

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Recorded this today. Ok, I am new at audio recordings and forgot to not move my hand, so it’s all messed up and hard to hear. Oh well, I learned my lesson I guess...... The noises in here are a mixture of kids screaming, the movement of my hand, and wind, and birds. The birds calling, which hopefully you can hear, are rails of some sort. Are they Sora or Virginia Rail?? Taken today in orange, California 

thanks and sorry about the poor recording

New Recording.m4a 215.79 kB · 5 downloads

Doesn’t sound like a Sora to me. Don’t ask me what it is, though. It may not even be a rail.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Doesn’t sound like a Sora to me. Don’t ask me what it is, though. It may not even be a rail.

I played a sora call, got one to respond, played a Virginia call, heard something....hoping it was a Virginia.......main focus as trying to get a rail to be brave enough to come out of hiding....

58 minutes ago, Melierax said:

That's a Virginia Rail. That's one of the many calls they can make. EDIT: Apparently that's the "female song"

Also funny, because I played a male call, not even a male song! Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Do you count heard-only birds on your life list? :classic_blink:

I do. I see no reason why not. 80% of the birds on any normal list when I’m going out birding are heard only, and I count them, so I see no difference with heard only birds on the life list. 

Yeah, no reason not to count heard only birds on life list... this can really help protect birds, i.e., with certain species (rails, owls) birders trying to see them can be somewhat invasive or disturb the birds. Better to count a spontaneously vocalizing Long-eared Owl which you didn’t bother at all than to go bother and disturb a day roosting Long-eared Owl just so you can get a tick on your list...

I count heard birds as half-lifers, I guess. I report them on eBird following checklist protocol, which puts them on my eBird life list, which I use as my official life list, so I guess they count as lifers. But when I see one for the first time, I count it as a lifer.

I do. I see no reason why not. 80% of the birds on any normal list when I’m going out birding are heard only, and I count them, so I see no difference with heard only birds on the life list. 

Yeah, no reason not to count heard only birds on life list... this can really help protect birds, i.e., with certain species (rails, owls) birders trying to see them can be somewhat invasive or disturb the birds. Better to count a spontaneously vocalizing Long-eared Owl which you didn’t bother at all than to go bother and disturb a day roosting Long-eared Owl just so you can get a tick on your list...

I've been seriously considering counting heard-only birds on my life list. So I guess you got me convinced. But I think we ought to try to get a recording, if it is a lifer. For example, I heard a Yellow Warbler one time and got a recording of it to prove it. But I was not able to spot it. Therefore I had to report it on eBird as warbler sp. so that it wouldn't be counted on my life list. That bothered me ever since to report a bird that I knew the species of as a genus level. Then a couple days later I saw the bird.

Here's the recording. I changed it to Yellow Warbler just now. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/228548401

Edited by Jefferson Shank
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Do you count heard-only birds on your life list? :classic_blink:

Yes

10 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Exactly. To me a life list includes birds that you have heard or had some present moments of that bird.