Whatbird Community

Hi, I'm trying to figure out a couple of things in ebird. I'm guessing neither of these is possible but wanted to check. The first is very minor, the second would be really useful.

1. Is there a way of creating a template checklist, ideally for a location but even just a general one? I usually run into the same 15 or so species, and it would be nice to be able to start with them as a list and not have to search each one each time (finally a use for knowing banding codes!).

2. I'm wondering if there's a way of seeing all reported list locations, not just the hotspots on the map. If you look at the region it will only give hotspots of course, but if you look at individual species it will give all lists. So there's a straightforward but clunky way of looking at this, to just search the common species and see what comes up. But that will of course miss incidental lists and ones where people didn't feel like counting crows or song sparrows etc. Since this is available through this path, it seems like it should be possible, but none of my searching has been successful. I'm trying to figure out what's being recorded in my neighbourhood and it's hard to tell....

Thanks!

Thank you! That's what I was worrying about assuming. The second especially seems like a slam dunk easy implementation, so I'm puzzled they don't offer it.

Edited by PaulK

You can click the check mark on eBird mobile after starting a list and it will give you a window of all the bird species you’ve reported so far for that outing. Making it easier to just tap the numbers to add more without searching. So maybe starting off initially by adding each expected species as a ‘1’ and then switching to that window as you actually begin birding could save time for repeatedly searching. Unless you do that already.
Though, of course you still have to search for each species initially...

I’ve been wanting #2 as well. Makes it difficult to see what’s around. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Aaron said:

So maybe starting off initially by adding each expected species as a ‘1’ and then switching to that window as you actually begin birding could save time for repeatedly searching.

Yeah, I've been occasionally doing this, but caught myself doing it yesterday while crossing the street on the way over and thought "eh, might want to try something else".

Yeah I don’t know why they haven’t implemented something like that. If they could create the window for the expected birds for that area (which they already have data for in the form of the weekly data bars) it’d make a lot more sense. You can already search for the expected species at the hotspots around in eBird mobile so shouldn’t be too much of an issue for them to incorporate with the actual checklist.

Maybe in the next update

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 2

Regarding #2, this is sort of possible via the eBird API which makes me surprised there isn't a better way to visualize it. Specifically, "Recent nearby observations" seeming the most relevant to what you want. It'll find all observations from 0-50 km from a given lat/long, but it's limited to the last 30 days.

Without the ability to actually plot this on a map and use dynamically it's not very useful though. I may look into something like that if it's not too difficult.

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, chipperatl said:

If I’m understanding the first one you can put an “x” in the species, then tap it to change to 1.  

Yeah exactly, and it would be great if we could save a template for the location so we don't have to do it each time. Maybe in the future.

4 hours ago, neilpa said:

Without the ability to actually plot this on a map and use dynamically it's not very useful though.

Yeah, I've been trying to think about why this might be and I have a suspicion it's because of the way the map is designed to access the database. (I don't know what I'm talking about here so the language is all going to be wrong.) My best guess is that they can build the species maps by looking for each instance of that species being reported and then plot the results. But there probably isn't a way of looking up a report itself and plotting it, without having a species to hook it on. This seems so straightforward that there must be a simple technical reason they haven't implemented it. It could just be that searching for effectively all records would just slow everything to a crawl.

BirdsEye NA you can get down to as small as 1 mile diameter for birds sighted locally and it will show where on map they were reported.  Shows historical, recent (adjustable timeframe) and needs, if you have it tied to eBird account.  You can even click on the location dot and it will show a list of birds seen at that location.  

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Just adding that the eBird app now lets you explore observations within 1km/other ranges and if you click on a species it pops up an immediate map of the sightings. Much easier than how it works on the website, and gets done almost everything I was hoping for in a map.

Screenshot_20210329-081247.thumb.png.dd57e33872f9a28d94fb696872bd911c.png

• Like 4