Whatbird Community

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't need Google Translate.  I know enough to get something to eat, too much to drink, and start a fight all on my own, usually in that sequence.

Google Translate is like Merlin -- they can't be trusted! 😄

Sí. Ustedes madres es muy gorda

Posted Images

I don't think the right bird could be a Thayer's/Herring simply due to size. I'm no expert so I don't want to jump the gun but that bicolored bill, diminutive size, and dark plumage seemingly leaves only one species, no? Curious as to others' thoughts.

Edited by Hasan
6 minutes ago, Hasan said:

I don't think the right bird could be a Thayer's/Herring simply due to size. I'm no expert so I don't want to jump the gun but that bicolored bill, diminutive size, and dark plumage seemingly leaves only one species, no? Curious as to others' thoughts.

Yeah...I think you’re right. Sorry @Jefferson Shank, I probably shouldn’t be making ids on 6 hours of sleep! 

Would be nice to have more of a profile shot of the bird on the right. However, it appears to be a first winter  individual of a 4-year gull, not a 3-year gull like a Ring-billed. The reasoning being that the mantle/scapular feathers look white and brown, not gray as they would be on a Ring-billed.

I think it could well be a Thayer’s, looks most like Thayer’s to me (size/structure and plumage-wise), but I’m not sure we can really definitely ID it with these looks (and the pink in the bill seems a bit much for 1st winter Thayer’s).

I could be wrong as well! Hopefully some others can chime in.

9 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Would be nice to have more of a profile shot of the bird on the right. However, it appears to be a first winter  individual of a 4-year gull, not a 3-year gull like a Ring-billed. The reasoning being that the mantle/scapular feathers look white and brown, not gray as they would be on a Ring-billed.

I think it could well be a Thayer’s, looks most like Thayer’s to me (size/structure and plumage-wise), but I’m not sure we can really definitely ID it with these looks (and the pink in the bill seems a bit much for 1st winter Thayer’s).

I could be wrong as well! Hopefully some others can chime in.

Of course, pretty clearly, this is a four year gull.

However, can first or second cycle Thayer's show a clearly bicolored bill? It's not something I'm used to seeing, and I did a preliminary search on eBird and could not find a comparable gull to this one.

Edited by Hasan
3 hours ago, Hasan said:

Herring.

4 hours ago, Hasan said:

However, can first or second cycle Thayer's show a clearly bicolored bill?

Well it’s pretty typical for second winter Thayer’s to have a clearly bicolored bill

But yes it would be unusual for a first winter.

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Well it’s pretty typical for second winter Thayer’s to have a clearly bicolored bill

But yes it would be unusual for a first winter.

Right, but third cycle would be much more adult-like, with a grayish mantle and more whiteish underparts