Whatbird Community

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't need Google Translate.  I know enough to get something to eat, too much to drink, and start a fight all on my own, usually in that sequence.

Google Translate is like Merlin -- they can't be trusted! 😄

OK I couldn't resist bombing this thread with all of the Spanish abuse going on here!  -Beer is "cerveza"; in Spain, Argentina, and a few other Latin American countries pronounce the "z" like the

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

¡Dos cervas, por favor!

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't need Google Translate.  I know enough to get something to eat, too much to drink, and start a fight all on my own, usually in that sequence.

Well if you're intending to order a very large quantity of venison at the restaurant then you don't need Google Translate...

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Jefferson Shank said:

Some of that is because Spanish sentence structure, word usage, etc is different from English.

Oh yeah for sure, I just put in a random phrase from a book, not expecting anything, and thought the result was funny. I’m not relying on google translate, lol.

43 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I have to use it at work sometimes when e-mailing Spanish or Italian co-workers.  I always precede what I'm pasting with a notice that I'm using Translate.

It's tremendously useful, especially if you have enough of a vague sense of the language to know where it's likely falling down.

2 hours ago, PaulK said:

It's tremendously useful, especially if you have enough of a vague sense of the language to know where it's likely falling down.

I seriously hated learning a language in high school and college.  It was rote memorization, which I abhor, chock full of exceptions.  I squeaked through two semesters of high school with maybe Cs; it's been so long I don't remember.

In college, I failed Spanish 101 twice, French 101 once.  After resuming college 12 years later, I took everything else and left the language requirement for last.  The theory was the pressure would obligate me to pass it, or everything else would be wasted.  I was also on tuition assistance at work so if I failed, the tuition was going to come out of My . Own . Pocket!  (HORRORS!)   I took Spanish 101 and then 102 as the only classes I had each semester (as a part-time adult student, you can get away with that kind of scheduling), and walked around with a four-inch thick stack of flash cards for five months.  I got Bs, graduated, burned the flash cards, and haven't spoken a word of Spanish beside 'Gracias' and 'De Nada' since.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Porque no?

When used as 'why', por qué is two words and has an acento.

4 hours ago, PaulK said:

Yep! Knowing basic Spanish can be a lifesaver if you're birding (or doing anything else) in the southwest. Considering that some of the US' greatest spots are near the border, it might be worth learning a little.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Porque no?

1 minute ago, Hasan said:

When used as 'why', por qué is two words and has an acento.

Yep! Knowing basic Spanish can be a lifesaver if you're birding (or doing anything else) in the southwest. Considering that some of the US' greatest spots are near the border, it might be worth learning a little.

If I remember correctly, when porque is one word, it means because

44 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Yeah, I was just down there! You’re right.

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

haven't spoken a word of Spanish beside 'Gracias' and 'De Nada' since.

I studied French for twelve years as part of an otherwise very good public education in Canada and can barely speak it. I'm in awe of people who can do these things!