Whatbird Community

ID this falcon's lunch? CONTENT WARNING: blood & guts

Photos contain blood!

I was on a beach in the Boston Harbor (Massachusetts) on Sunday (the 21st), and I saw a peregrine falcon land with its catch and spend 10-15 minutes eating. My first time seeing a peregrine so it was awesome to watch. After the falcon left, I headed over to the crime scene. Pretty much nothing was left but some blood and feathers. My morbid curiosity makes me wonder if it's possible to ID a bird from these scant remnants.

I didn't get exact measurements but I estimate the longer feathers (flight feathers?) were 3-4 inches, and the shorter feathers around 1/2 an inch. Based on the size I suspect it's a small songbird. I saw snow buntings and house sparrows that day, but other passerines are possible. It's also a beach so gulls and ducks were present.

Thanks for answering my rather macabre question! As a relatively inexperienced birder this forum looks like it'll be a helpful place.

IMG_20210221_114724.jpg

IMG_20210221_114805.jpg

MVIMG_20210221_114721.jpg

MVIMG_20210221_114718.jpg

33 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

This isn't identifiable to species unfortunately. 

Why not? Feathers can often be identified, although it requires somewhat different knowledge/skill/experience than identifying live birds. One aspect of my job is performing fatality surveys for dead birds and bats - lots of identifying feather spots

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The few remaining flight feathers look like the ones I've found next to Northern Mockingbird carcasses.

The body feathers a clearly dove/pigeon (lots of down, broad rachis relative to feather size) - and most of the body feathers are too dark for a Mockingbird anyway.

Its almost certainly Rock Pigeon

• Like 3

Thanks for your answers and the warm welcome, everyone! I figured ID'ing from feathers is outside the usual purview of this forum and birding in general, so I really appreciate everyone for helping out. Although I gotta agree with you, @MichaelLong, it's definitely DEAD! 😆

@Aidan B : Thanks for the welcome! I agree, beautiful bird and I can't wait to see more. Birds of prey always have the most interesting behaviors as well.

18 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

The body feathers a clearly dove/pigeon (lots of down, broad rachis relative to feather size) - and most of the body feathers are too dark for a Mockingbird anyway.

Its almost certainly Rock Pigeon

Thank you, @AlexHenry! I don't know why I didn't think about a pigeon (sorry @Pigeon 😢). The body and flight feathers are probably too large for a small songbird, I suppose? I spent a while staring at photos of House Sparrow & Snow Bunting feathers on Featherbase, but it didn't seem to fit... But again, I don't know much about feathers and it seems a tricky subject to make uneducated guesses about. That aspect of your job sounds cool - wouldn't mind hearing a little more about what to look for when ID'ing dead birds, if you don't mind, of course. 😊

Since I'm so new to this, everything about bird morphology and behavior is fascinating to me. I love that there are so many experienced birders and even researchers on this forum. I probably won't post much (cell phone camera is really only good for taking pics of dead birds...) but I look forward to learning a lot from the people here! 😄

• Like 1