Whatbird Community

I was sitting on the deck, fishing on the San Bernard River, Brazoria, Texas; on a 70 degree afternoon when a flock of birds (est. 30 -40 birds) kept circling and landing along the shoreline, edge of the dock, and nearby ground. They would stay for a minute, then all would get up and circle again - then come back again. This went on for 5 to 10 minutes. One that landed close with the sun shining on it - looked like it have a reddest brown mantellic chest and I was surprised to see a black comb hood feather similar to a Gamble Quail. They were a little smaller than a Bobwhite Quail. Very pretty birds!  Hope to see them again. Thanks for your help.

One that landed close with the sun shining on it - looked like it have a reddest brown mantellic chest and I was surprised to see a black comb hood feather similar to a Gamble Quail.

Were they grackles? The one that landed close and you saw the brown color was maybe a female grackle?

On 2/23/2021 at 7:14 PM, Jefferson Shank said:

Were they grackles? The one that landed close and you saw the brown color was maybe a female grackle?

No, not a grackle.  they were more like a waxwing except they had a black headdress. I think???