Whatbird Community

I believe so. The combination of yellow wing feathers and red mustache stripes doesn’t fit either Northern Flicker subspecies. The brown crown points towards Gilded as well. Wait for confirmation from someone more experienced though because I don’t have any experience with Gilded flickers. 

• Like 1

I believe so. The combination of yellow wing feathers and red mustache stripes doesn’t fit either Northern Flicker subspecies. The brown crown points towards Gilded as well. Wait for confirmation from someone more experienced though because I don’t have any experience with Gilded flickers. 

Confirmed!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hasan said:

That's a rather good bird, no? Outside of Arizona these guys are really hard to find

I think they are regular, albeit in the right habitat and in small numbers at the confluence of southern NV, SE CA, western AZ border area. In CA, you pretty much have to go to Mojave National Preserve for this bird, but it looks like there are some very reliable spots in southern NV.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Colton V said:

One REALLY has to be careful with Gilded, as intergrade Northerns can closely approach the plumage features of Gilded. In fact, using the features noted in Sibley (2014), this seems more like an intergrade Northern than a Gilded. I'm not saying it is one, but.... Colorado has had numerous reports of GIFL, all having turned out to be intergrade Northerns.

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

One REALLY has to be careful with Gilded, as intergrade Northerns can closely approach the plumage features of Gilded. In fact, using the features noted in Sibley (2014), this seems more like an intergrade Northern than a Gilded. I'm not saying it is one, but.... Colorado has had numerous reports of GIFL, all having turned out to be intergrade Northerns.

I thought about that, but the well-defined brown crown seemed better for Gilded to me. But as I said before, I don't have experience with Gilded Flickers (or intergrades for that matter) so you're probably right.