Whatbird Community

Photography Through a Spotting Scope

floraphile

Help!

Any pointers for taking adequate-for-ID pics through a spotting scope?  Best to use a cell phone (I have an Android)?  

I tried to take photos through mine today so everyone here could help with ID of some shorebirds.  I could see the birds extremely well through the scope, but could not get my phone camera to focus through the scope, and it was just too darn cumbersome to try and use my real camera, which, also, would not focus through the scope.

Suggestions?  Thoughts?

Edited by floraphile
additional info

Cant go wrong with an adapter from PhoneScope (https://www.phoneskope.com/phone-scope/)

I have used their attachment for several years, I have a Vortex Scope and Iphone. Its a seamless adapter that fits quickly and perfectly each time. Bonus is that it has 2 parts to each adapter. I have the same ring for the scope part, then can hook my Iphone to that ring or my wife's Galaxy with a separate adapter (to the same ring). That probably makes no sense, just check out their website!

• Like 1