Whatbird Community

help finding a low budget camera please.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have officially chosen! All suggestions were nice and great! In the end, for a lot of reasons, I chose the panasonic fz80. Coming Sunday!

I've been using both a point and shoot, My Nikon Coolpix P900, and my uncle's DSLR, a Nikon d5100 with a 55-300 mm lens, on and off for about a month. Here's my experiences, and the comparison both ty

Awesome! That is a great improvement over your previous camera. Can't wait to see your pictures...

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, IKLland said:

So would a 200-600 lens have more zoom than my camera?

Yes and no. First on the no side. A 200-600mm lens on a full frame camera is 200-600mm when comparing the 35mm equivalent, your camera has a 35mm equivalent of 24-720mm. In that example your camera has the longer focal length.

Now for the yes part. If you put a 200-600mm lens on a crop body camera with a 1.6x crop factor, that 200-600mm lens now has the 35mm equivalent of 350-920mm, out reaching your camera by 200mm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

Yes and no. First on the no side. A 200-600mm lens on a full frame camera is 200-600mm when comparing the 35mm equivalent, your camera has a 35mm equivalent of 24-720mm. In that example your camera has the longer focal length.

Now for the yes part. If you put a 200-600mm lens on a crop body camera with a 1.6x crop factor, that 200-600mm lens now has the 35mm equivalent of 350-920mm, out reaching your camera by 200mm. 

And that increases a lot more if you throw a 1.4 or 2x converter on it

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

47 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

And that increases a lot more if you throw a 1.4 or 2x converter on it

I should also point out that a 1.6(Canon) or 1.5(Nikon) crop factor is typical of most DSLR cameras, it's not a special crop body camera, it's just the crop factor relevant for most DSLRs, with the exception of full frame cameras, and possibly a few specialty cameras. The point I'm trying to make is that the crop body cameras are the ones most people use, and professionals will also use them on occasion over their full frame cameras just for that added reach because of the crop factor.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, lonestranger said:

I should also point out that a 1.6(Canon) or 1.5(Nikon) crop factor is typical of most DSLR cameras, it's not a special crop body camera, it's just the crop factor relevant for most DSLRs, with the exception of full frame cameras, and possibly a few specialty cameras. The point I'm trying to make is that the crop body cameras are the ones most people use, and professionals will also use them on occasion over their full frame cameras just for that added reach of the crop factor.

Agreed. I like my crop body with an 1.4x extender on my 400m lens, with means I'm shooting at 896mm for much less then getting a massive lens.

• Like 2