Whatbird Community

Folks,

I came across this Goldfinch eating on the ground this morning in Wilmington NC.  Of the 30 or so eating at my feeders, this was the only one that looked like this.  I've seen birds sitting in trees puffing up, but never while they are eating.  Could she be full of eggs or just pleasantly plump?

Thanks,

Lance

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

If a bird is puffed up and not moving much it usually means it's sick.  No eggs right now; goldfinches breed in late summer.

Respectfully, the OP didn't say the bird wasn't moving.  In fact, it was eating.  I think we may be jumping to a conclusion with insufficient evidence.

@LanceM, other than being fluffy, did the bird show any other unusual behaviors?  Was it sluggish?  Did it spend long periods not moving (several minutes or more)?  Did it let you approach unusually close?  If something startled the other birds, did this one leave with them or remain behind?

Thanks!

• Like 2
Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

Respectfully, the OP didn't say the bird wasn't moving.  In fact, it was eating.  I think we may be jumping to a conclusion with insufficient evidence.

Sorry, you're right.  The photo looked as though the OP was able to get pretty close and the bird's eyes are partially-closed, so I assumed it was sluggish.  I should have asked.

• Like 1

https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/wildlife-garden-videos/finches-with-typical-trichomonosis-or-fat-finch-disease-symptoms/

I have hundreds of birds of over 25 species visit my feeders each day.  How do I know this bird got it from my feeder?  Why don't I just eliminate this bird?  Seems like a draconian measure for something that may not be a problem.  Just thinking out loud.

Lance

14 minutes ago, LanceM said:

https://nurturing-nature.co.uk/wildlife-garden-videos/finches-with-typical-trichomonosis-or-fat-finch-disease-symptoms/

I have hundreds of birds of over 25 species visit my feeders each day.  How do I know this bird got it from my feeder?  Why don't I just eliminate this bird?  Seems like a draconian measure for something that may not be a problem.  Just thinking out loud.

Lance

It’s not that this bird necessarily got it from your feeder, it’s just that a feeder puts the birds at risk of contracting the disease from other birds from the close contact. Gotta make them social distance for a while. Cleaning the feeders also helps deter another breakout in the future if any of the bacteria/virus/whatever happens to lay dormant. 

• Like 3