Whatbird Community

Solitary feeder in mudflats of old abandoned rice fields at Bear Island Wildlife Management Area, Bennett's Point, SC.  This location is in the heart of the ACE Basic between the Edisto and Ashepoo RIvers.  Nearby were numerous Ibis, Snowy Egrets, Tricolored Heron & Little Blue Heron feeding in the flats.  Photos taken yesterday, Thursday, Feb 25, 2021 at 1450.  Sunny, 65 degrees with gentle breezes.  The photos of the group of birds flying are not great.  But, I am hoping someone can help me.  The photos were taken while I was shooting the solitary bird, as they just flashed overhead.  About five minutes earlier I had just seen a group of about the same number of Short-billed Dowitchers in a pond across the dike feeding in the shallows.  So, any help on these two sets of photos would be appreciated.  I am a beginner, so please go easy on me.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

@Bobby D I'm having second thoughts after looking at these photos again. Lesser Yellowlegs have shorter and darker bills. At first glance #3 seems to fit the bill (no pun intended) but it may be angled away from the camera making it seem shorter. Also, I think I can see the bill is slightly upturned,and the body is quite angular, leaning towards Greater so please wait for more experienced birders to comment.

10 hours ago, Jefferson Shank said:

it looks like the feet extend beyond the tail instead of just toes.

This is backward. Lessers have the longer legs with, typically, quite a bit of the foot proximal to the toes extending beyond the tail tip.

Top illustrations, page 166, 2nd-ed Sibley

Also strongly suggestive of Greater is that the wing tips barely extend beyond the tail tip; Lesser's extend notably beyond the tail tip. However, this doesn't work very well on juvs.

Same field guide, same page.

This is backward. Lessers have the longer legs with, typically, quite a bit of the foot proximal to the toes extending beyond the tail tip.

Oops... I said that out of my memory without double checking so I must have got some wires crossed somewhere.