Whatbird Community

Taken a few days ago in Duval County, Florida. While there are literally thousands of Laughing Gulls converging in the park this bird was not hanging out with Laughing Gulls. It was hanging loosely with a Ring-billed Gull and a Bonapart's Gull. Though not close enough for a good size comparison. That said I photographed this gull thinking it was the Bonapart's initially. From this mistake my thinking is that it is smaller than a Laughing Gull. The wings are much lighter colored than Laughing and it has pink legs. These things said I still didn't want to call this a Franklin's Gull as the gape just screams Laughing.  Franklin's are rare at this park but a few get reported each year. Thank you for the help!

059.JPG

062.JPG

Looks good for a Laughing Gull. Note: Horizonal profile and black wing tips that are acutely pointed and extend well beyond the the tail. My reference material says "The dark hood is replaced by mostly white head with a dark ear patch and scattered dark markings on the crown in the winter." (Gulls Simplified). I am not an expert.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gpoole said:

Looks good for a Laughing Gull. Note: Horizonal profile and black wing tips that are acutely pointed and extend well beyond the the tail. My reference material says "The dark hood is replaced by mostly white head with a dark ear patch and scattered dark markings on the crown in the winter." (Gulls Simplified). I am not an expert.

Winter here in Florida is a relative term. Most of the Laughing Gulls are in breeding plumage already and have been for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

The relatively large bill, the lack of an obvious dark half-hood, and insignificant white tips to the outer primaries rule out Franklin’s in that plumage.

Thanks Tony! Most of the Laughing Gulls right now are in their breeding plumage and this one with it's pink legs and light coloring had me second guessing the really pretty obvious. I struggled with even posting it but I had just that tiny touch of doubt.