Whatbird Community

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Welcome to the forum!

We do need to know the general location and date, but I believe that is a Baltimore Oriole with a Tufted Titmouse singing in the background.

Titmouse! I didn't think a cardinal was right but I couldn't think of anything else.

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

The titmouse is only doing the two-note rising calls.  The rest is the oriole.

I am going to have to learn oriole songs and calls.

I searched up all three suggestions: Tufted Titmouse, Northern Cardinal, and Baltimore Oriole, and none of them matched the song in the video. Do any of you have a video of the bird you think it is that I could watch? Thank you for your time:)

I am not confident in IDing Orioles by song, but I trust TBN is right. Orioles and titmice have a wide variety of sounds and calls they make, so you really have to go by tone. 

That’s definitely a Baltimore Oriole. Sounds spot on on for one. Additionally, if you check out the eBird range map for Tufted Titmouse, they’re all but absent from the Miami and surrounding areas. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

That’s definitely a Baltimore Oriole. Sounds spot on on for one. Additionally, if you check out the eBird range map for Tufted Titmouse, they’re all but absent from the Miami and surrounding areas. 

Okay, so the titmouse-sounding call is likely the oriole as well?  It does have a very similar tone.

Hi The Bird Nuts!

I think they are saying that. But,what I think is, is that the main bird is a Baltimore Oriole and there is a titmouse in the backround like you said earlier. I have a reason to think that because because I heard something that sounded like a titmouse by itself just recently so I think I have both a Baltimore Oriole and a titmouse in my yard.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Personally I’m not hearing a Titmouse, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one just means I have to get my ears in shape!

BN#2 listened to the recording and couldn't hear anything other than an oriole, so you're probably right.

Hello, I think this is acutually a spot breasted oriole on second thoughts. Here is why I am thinking this. 1. Yesterday, I heard this bird again and I was actually right by it and I saw a oranage bird with spots. 2. It sounds like it. Here is a video of a spot breasted oriole- listen to the first minute.