Whatbird Community

I'm in Pittsboro, NC (near Chapel Hill) and was surprised to see this gorgeous gal on a nearby pond.  I believe this is a female Bufflehead, but I'm never seen one around here, so would appreciate confirmation.  Thank you!

Tom Skipper

Female Bufflehead 02.jpg

Female Bufflehead 05.jpg

3 hours ago, gjetson said:

Thanks!  That's a new one for my (relatively short) life list!!

The good thing about a short life list is that you have a ton of new birds to see! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Avery said:

The good thing about a short life list is that you have a ton of new birds to see! 

I know, right? I'm lucky if I get one lifer in three months!

21 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I know, right? I'm lucky if I get one lifer in three months!

Yeah, I’ve hit a wall with lifers. There’s only 2 birds I could potentially see that would be lifers for me this winter, and both would be pretty unlikely. I’m soooo excited for this spring!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Avery said:

Yeah, I’ve hit a wall with lifers. There’s only 2 birds I could potentially see that would be lifers for me this winter, and both would be pretty unlikely. I’m soooo excited for this spring!

Just now, Birding Boy said:

Me three! 

You guys are lucky. you get breeding warblers! I only really get migrants.

Just now, Seanbirds said:

You guys are lucky. you get breeding warblers! I only really get migrants.

I’m not that far north! The only regular breeders in my county are Yellow and Hooded Warblers, and of course Common Yellowthroats. I wasn’t able to see the HOWA last year, but that’s one of my priorities this spring!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

I’m not that far north! The only regular breeders in my county are Yellow and Hooded Warblers, and of course Common Yellowthroats. I wasn’t able to see the HOWA last year, but that’s one of my priorities this spring!

Well, in the eastern half of Kansas, we do have breeding Prothonotary and Black-and-white...:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

We don't have too many breeding warblers here. We have: Orange-crowned, Northern Parula have bred the last couple years, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray, Hermit, MacGillvary's, Yellowthroat, and Wilson's. I know Chat's used to breed here as well, and Redstart have bred a few times.

14 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

We don't have too many breeding warblers here. We have: Orange-crowned, Northern Parula have bred the last couple years, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray, Hermit, MacGillvary's, Yellowthroat, and Wilson's. I know Chat's used to breed here as well, and Redstart have bred a few times.

That's a lot!

3 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not compared to what the Vermonters have

He he. We have records for 27 warbler species breeding in VT.

Edited by Avery