Whatbird Community

This is someone else's from the Birding in Massachusetts group on facebook...
They posted it as a harrier, which everyone else knew it wasn't. Someone said red-tailed... someone said ferruginous, which is highly unlikely... 
I tried with Merlin and it said RTHA...

But I look at the photo and scratch my head some. It could just be that I never look at hawks at this angle with this pose... I feel I can see SOME color at the patagial area but, not what I'd expect on a red-tailed... and those legs...  crazy fluffy speckled legs... I want to ID it but something about the bird just has me scratching my head... 
Maybe I need a nap...

155305321_248650200195025_69446593861136

43 minutes ago, millipede said:

the bird just has me scratching my head...

Agreed!!!

Some features that confuse me are when you look at the feathered legs, the very light patagial area, it also appears to be smiling, which is something I associate with Ferruginous. But when you look at the beak you can't see any sign of the yellow gape, also look at the tail, you can see the banding in the tail, which Ferruginous Hawks don't have. It also appears to have dark wingtips, which I read Ferruginous Hawks don't have. 

In my very uniformed opinion, I think this hawk might have the possibility of being a hybrid. 

it's probably just a Red-tail though...

Thanks all.  I often feel like, if you don't know it's probably a red-tailed... ha. 
The tail? I'm not sure I looked hard at that one but didn't see much that said anything to me.
Then again, I think the legs distracted me more than anything.
I'm guessing it's just that I never observe them in this posture? I mean, it really looks like it's wearing sweat pants or something.
I'm glad the person got this shot because, as I said, I just never view them this way. They're usually flying or perched on a tree or pole or post.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, millipede said:

The tail? I'm not sure I looked hard at that one but didn't see much that said anything to me.

The banding on darkish rectrices (among other things) immediately rules out Ferruginous Hawk. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DLecy said:

The banding on darkish rectrices (among other things) immediately rules out Ferruginous Hawk. 

I shouldn’t have noted dark rectrices. FEHA can have white to gray tail feathers, but this bird has a dark tail with solid bands. Structurally, it’s wrong for FEHA too.

• Like 1