Whatbird Community

eBird reporting question

PaulK

11 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Complete Checklists and Birding as Your Primary Purpose : Help Center (ebird.org)

Pro Tip: We recommend keeping Traveling checklists under 5 miles (8 km) and Stationary checklists under 3 hours for your sightings to make the biggest impact for science. However, limiting your checklists to less than one hour or one mile provides even more checklist precision!

If I am out birding, away from my home, I follow these guidelines, basically, because it may help others.  At my own home, it is only really relevant what birds are present on that day.  If I don't see/hear the bluebirds until 9a, but cut my list off because I started early, it doesn't mean the bluebirds weren't there, just that I didn't notice them.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

if there is a rare bird that I didn't see, I'll put it down as zero to let others know that it didn't show that day.

This adds the bird to your county checklist. I don't use it for that reason and neither should anyone else. If needed, put that you didn't see the rare bird in the checklist comments section.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:16 AM, PaulK said:

On a daily basis I have bushtits outside my home, but almost never see them when I'm out recording a list.

I think the 0 question has been answered. As for your wonderings about recording a species that you see and/or heard but not while officially "birding," there is absolutely no harm in throwing the bird(s) on an incidental checklist for the time you heard/saw them. I do this all the time at my house when I'm not officially recording an eBird checklist. Nothing wrong with that at all. Even better, you can turn it into a complete checklist if you start birding at that moment (which is a preferred data set as far as eBird goes). See the last example below from eBird.

Birding wasn't my primary purpose, can I still report my observation to eBird? 

You can still submit observations to eBird from times when birding was not your primary purpose OR when you did not make a complete survey of birds around you. Simply choose the "Incidental" protocol for these types of checklists.

Common examples of "Incidental" observations:

• reporting a Golden Eagle that flew over during football practice
  • birds you happened to notice while you spent the day gardening
  • a hawk perched on a sign while you were driving down the highway
  • listing a local rarity but not including the other common birds you could identify at the same location

The important point about each of the above is that you did not or could not make a concerted effort to find and record all the birds in these situations.

Make birding your primary purpose! On occasion, you can turn what would be an incidental observation into a more informative checklist. If a Golden Eagle flies over, you could wait around for 5 minutes with the primary purpose of birding, and turn that list into a 5-minute stationary count

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DLecy said:

This adds the bird to your county checklist. I don't use it for that reason and neither should anyone else. If needed, put that you didn't see the rare bird in the checklist comments section.

EDIT: The "0" code adds the bird to your life/world/country/state/county/patch list too. Hmmm.

34 minutes ago, DLecy said:

It doesn’t add birds to your county list. I’ve used zero before and it hasn’t shown up on my list. 

Edited by Connor Cochrane

9 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It doesn’t add birds to your county list. I’ve used zero before and it hasn’t shown up on my list. 

It does indeed. I have seen it many times before show up on someones county list when they put “0” and I tried it tonight for a bird that is not rare (non-zero filter) but I don’t have for the county, and it added it to my list. 

1 minute ago, DLecy said:

It does indeed. I have seen it many times before show up on someones county list when they put “0” and I tried it tonight for a bird that is not rare (non-zero filter) but I don’t have for the county, and it added it to my list. 

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever used it before when I didn’t have it already for the county before, though I though I’ve heard people say it doesn’t add it to your list. 

2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever used it before when I didn’t have it already for the county before, though I though I’ve heard people say it doesn’t add it to your list. 

It definitely does. I added a COTE “0” to a test checklist tonight (red dot, but not rare) and then checked my county list afterward and sure enough it had added COTE and my overall number had increased by 1.

I know someone who put Gargany as “0” for Las Gallinas and then it showed as the most recent bird in their county list on the top 100 for all time. They never removed it. It makes you wonder about how some people’s county lists get so big.

Dipping on a rare bird should be documented in the checklist comments only.

10 minutes ago, DLecy said:

It definitely does. I added a COTE “0” to a test checklist tonight (red dot, but not rare) and then checked my county list afterward and sure enough it had added COTE and my overall number had increased by 1.

I know someone who put Gargany as “0” for Las Gallinas and then it showed as the most recent bird in their county list on the top 100 for all time. They never removed it. It makes you wonder about how some people’s county lists get so big.

Dipping on a rare bird should be documented in the checklist comments only.

I believe you. I just went and checked to make sure nothing appeared on my list because of this, it looks like I'm safe and I've seen all the birds on my list.