Whatbird Community

The lighting is bad on these geese... flock flying HIGH over me as the sun was going down so it's likely these colors are off... 
These pictures are going to be just partial so they're not huge... but if one of the pictures has a particular part or bird that looks like you'd get more if I zoomed in, I can add larger views. The color makes me feel like they're just canada but, I'm not sure if they sounded right or not, and the sun is definitely affecting their color here... and, while they do fly in big flocks, I never see large flocks of canada up high... usually just snow and greater white-fronted... with Ross' thrown in there sometimes.

image.png.c9214e439c5be92c653513f324442118.png

image.thumb.png.885f8ecf3475bf47db4c99d12d0cef4d.png

image.thumb.png.c54ca55089651ab6c901afe33e1d98a9.png

image.thumb.png.6d1ed9c9066b718faf92a315d6aa5450.png

And this hawk, I was thinking cooper's in the field... still kind of leaning that way but wish I got better shots. I like when hawks circle around a little and aren't in such a rush to go by.

image.png.cfb8885176c7fc8b8b393babf95fa2a4.png

image.png.c738825cdd9d99f108ccad1296ae7df5.png

image.png.a100fe9ce0a8ecbe5545ef76e8e3f0d0.png

I should have recorded audio. I remember hearing them, then needing to find them. I feel like the pitch would have been okay for gwfg but, I don't recall hearing the pattern they have in their honking... but...
1. I was more focused on trying to get some pics for ID(they were high up there) so I didn't fully pay attention, not enough to remember 😞
2. I'm used to hearing canada geese down low so a larger flock(counting in my pics there were at least 80) at a greater height than I'm used to, might sound different than when they're closer by?
hmmm... 
I really wish I had a better memory... a longer lens on the camera... and recorded it perhaps. Oh well.

They were fairly talkative... but I've heard flocks of snow and gwfg that were pretty noisy... then again, I don't normally catch any of the flocks heading north... I usually see them on their trips south.
Wish the lighting was better.

Just now, Aidan B said:

I think the geese are Greater White-fronts, but I'm not sure how to rule out Canada. a few of them appear to have mottled bellies when I zoom in on them.

I was just about to say that I change my mind to GWFG.

1 minute ago, Aidan B said:

I think the geese are Greater White-fronts, but I'm not sure how to rule out Canada. a few of them appear to have mottled bellies when I zoom in on them.

Do they occur in mixed flock?  I've seen SNGO hanging out with CAGO, both on land and in flight.  I'm not saying these are SNGO, just pointing out an example of mixed flock geese.

Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

Do they occur in mixed flock?  I've seen SNGO hanging out with CAGO, both on land and in flight.  I'm not saying these are SNGO, just pointing out an example of mixed flock geese.

Canada are far Larger than Greater White-fronted Geese, so I'm pretty sure there is only one species in this flock.

I have seen mixed flocks of Canada's and Greater White-fronted Geese before.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Canada are far Larger than Greater White-fronted Geese, so I'm pretty sure there is only one species in this flock.

I have seen mixed flocks of Canada's and Greater White-fronted Geese before.

I've seen mega flocks with all 5 Kansas wintering geese in them. (Canada, Cackling, Snow [both morphs], Ross's, and Greater White-fronted)

• Like 1

I don’t recall where you are, and that might help.

The birds’ necks look short to me, suggesting CACG, not CANG, although that could be an artifact of the photos and lighting. I could see them being GWFG. They’re NOT white geese.

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

I don’t recall where you are, and that might help.

The birds’ necks look short to me, suggesting CACG, not CANG, although that could be an artifact of the photos and lighting. I could see them being GWFG. They’re NOT white geese.

I'm in the NW corner of Arkansas. CACG come through from time to time but, usually just one or three mixed in with other geese. A flock of 80 would be pretty unheard of here. Man I wish I paid more attention to the calls... or recorded them.

In a little bit, if I remember, I'll post a resized(not cropped) version of each full picture so you can see all the bird in them. Then if there's any(they'll look small) that look like birds to look closer at, I'll post a larger(cropped) image of those specific birds... if any of that makes sense. 🙂