Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Feather Identification. Townsend's Solitaire? Marin County.


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I forgot about this until now, but when I was biking about a month and a half ago, I stumbled across a big pile of feathers on the side of the road, presumably hit by a car. The body wasn't there, which would have helped. For any locals, this was right near the intersection of bo-fax and Ridgecrest on Bolinas Ridgre, a place where solitaries haven't been seen previously.

IMG_8132.thumb.jpeg.e308ec711ce0ecae7d2fed7af1c2f8f2.jpeg

IMG_8133.thumb.jpeg.dce32a7d83611e65f9c8d2ffb4396bf6.jpeg

IMG_8130.thumb.jpeg.7048feca84556afafba07b36500696a3.jpeg

Edited by Connor Cochrane
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Connor Cochrane changed the title to Feather Identification. Townsend's Solitaire? Marin County.

I’ve never seen a dead TOSO before so I’m not sure. The feathers are grey and buff which seems reasonable.

But, I think the buff stripe on a TOSO wing is at the base of the flight feathers, not at the tips of the coverts, so the patterning might be a little off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlexHenry said:

I’ve never seen a dead TOSO before so I’m not sure. The feathers are grey and buff which seems reasonable.

But, I think the buff stripe on a TOSO wing is at the base of the flight feathers, not at the tips of the coverts, so the patterning might be a little off.

My thoughts exactly. That’s why I put up the screenshot of that feather. Sadly, the feather atlas doesn’t have a scan for TOSO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a TOSO with that huge white tip. I’m having trouble coming up with something that has those obvious yellow fringes along with a white tip. And the TOSO wing stripe, like all (??) wing stripes in ABA-Area thrushes, are on the ss and pp bases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those feathers with long white tips/shaft streaks are underparts feathers (I think). Thus, the bird has pale streaking on a dark background below. I considered guineafowl, but the yellow doesn’t work for either Helmeted or Vulturine. I’m at a loss, but obviously not thinking well right now, as this ought to be obvious to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Those feathers with long white tips/shaft streaks are underparts feathers (I think). Thus, the bird has pale streaking on a dark background below. I considered guineafowl, but the yellow doesn’t work for either Helmeted or Vulturine. I’m at a loss, but obviously not thinking well right now, as this ought to be obvious to me.

Habitat wise, this is in a middle of a thick forest up in very hilly terrain on a side road, so I don't think it's a domestic bird

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

Habitat wise, this is in a middle of a thick forest up in very hilly terrain on a side road, so I don't think it's a domestic bird

What grouse do you have in that area?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avery said:

What grouse do you have in that area?

 

The only game bird we have are California Quail, but none in the habitat I was in. There was once a report of a Sooty Grouse within two miles of the area, but that is fake

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That's a good idea. Let me look into it.

I'm not sure. I don't know where the white tips of the feathers would be. I have seen dead Band-tailed before, and I think the feathers were different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, Aidan B said:

That would be a ridiculously good bird for Marin!

I don't think they have any buffy colored feathers.

 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

More than ridiculous. Not going to be possible unless global cooling started up and temperatures dropped like 5 degrees. 

Sorry, apparently I don’t know where Canada is!🤔😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...