Whatbird Community

Feather Identification. Townsend's Solitaire? Marin County.

Hi All,

I forgot about this until now, but when I was biking about a month and a half ago, I stumbled across a big pile of feathers on the side of the road, presumably hit by a car. The body wasn't there, which would have helped. For any locals, this was right near the intersection of bo-fax and Ridgecrest on Bolinas Ridgre, a place where solitaries haven't been seen previously.

IMG_8132.thumb.jpeg.e308ec711ce0ecae7d2fed7af1c2f8f2.jpeg

IMG_8133.thumb.jpeg.dce32a7d83611e65f9c8d2ffb4396bf6.jpeg

IMG_8130.thumb.jpeg.7048feca84556afafba07b36500696a3.jpeg

Edited by Connor Cochrane
  • Connor Cochrane changed the title to Feather Identification. Townsend's Solitaire? Marin County.

I’ve never seen a dead TOSO before so I’m not sure. The feathers are grey and buff which seems reasonable.

But, I think the buff stripe on a TOSO wing is at the base of the flight feathers, not at the tips of the coverts, so the patterning might be a little off.

Just now, AlexHenry said:

I’ve never seen a dead TOSO before so I’m not sure. The feathers are grey and buff which seems reasonable.

But, I think the buff stripe on a TOSO wing is at the base of the flight feathers, not at the tips of the coverts, so the patterning might be a little off.

My thoughts exactly. That’s why I put up the screenshot of that feather. Sadly, the feather atlas doesn’t have a scan for TOSO

Not a TOSO with that huge white tip. I’m having trouble coming up with something that has those obvious yellow fringes along with a white tip. And the TOSO wing stripe, like all (??) wing stripes in ABA-Area thrushes, are on the ss and pp bases.

Those feathers with long white tips/shaft streaks are underparts feathers (I think). Thus, the bird has pale streaking on a dark background below. I considered guineafowl, but the yellow doesn’t work for either Helmeted or Vulturine. I’m at a loss, but obviously not thinking well right now, as this ought to be obvious to me.

27 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Those feathers with long white tips/shaft streaks are underparts feathers (I think). Thus, the bird has pale streaking on a dark background below. I considered guineafowl, but the yellow doesn’t work for either Helmeted or Vulturine. I’m at a loss, but obviously not thinking well right now, as this ought to be obvious to me.

Habitat wise, this is in a middle of a thick forest up in very hilly terrain on a side road, so I don't think it's a domestic bird

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

Habitat wise, this is in a middle of a thick forest up in very hilly terrain on a side road, so I don't think it's a domestic bird

What grouse do you have in that area?

Just now, Avery said:

What grouse do you have in that area?

The only game bird we have are California Quail, but none in the habitat I was in. There was once a report of a Sooty Grouse within two miles of the area, but that is fake

2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That's a good idea. Let me look into it.

I'm not sure. I don't know where the white tips of the feathers would be. I have seen dead Band-tailed before, and I think the feathers were different.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, Aidan B said:

That would be a ridiculously good bird for Marin!

I don't think they have any buffy colored feathers.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

More than ridiculous. Not going to be possible unless global cooling started up and temperatures dropped like 5 degrees. 

Sorry, apparently I don’t know where Canada is!🤔😆