Whatbird Community

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

24 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL  Hooded Warbler today!  He surprised us at dusk.  Hubby took pic while I marveled in his (the bird's not the hub's :D)  presence.  

Lifer! Yarder! BAIRD’S SANDPIPER today!!! Four of ‘em!

I've seen them displaying and I've flushed them before, but only once did I have a good view of one in the daytime. Here's the best picture I've taken of one. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/3133451

Posted Images

For me they're leaving. I'm still seeing Baltimore Orioles, several kinds of warblers, and Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks. On Monday I got to see some of the Cedar Waxwings that have been showing up in Guatemala this year; most years the are very rare here. 

• Like 1

Marin Co. CA

Haven't really had too many birds come through yet. I got my first Allen's Hummingbird a few weeks into the year, and last week I had a Rufous Hummingbird, knocking off the two main migrant hummingbirds. 

Wilson's Warbler should be here any day now

Haven’t noticed too much up here yet.

Still no sightings of gulls in the city but they can come any day now. 
People have been reporting increased numbers of robins in the South though, and I’ve been noticing more bald eagles flying over my house lately. 
Probably still 2-3 weeks out before things start getting good, but the prospect that any day could bring something new is very exciting. Can’t wait to see more than 20 species at once again!

Magpies are building nests, the house finches are feeding each other, flickers are drumming, and the snow is melting so we’re getting there.

• Like 1

All the different Swallow species exept Purple Martin have arrived here in Sacramento, and the Wrens and sparrows are singing. Lots of nesting going on too, Killdeer, Yellow-billed Magpies, Red-shouldered Hawks, Bald Eagles, Anna's Hummingbirds, and all the Herons and Egrets.

Edited by Aidan B

Orange County, Ca. 
The winter here is awesome, because I really only birded in the winter, because I really just started in November. I am so excited to see what lifers I get in the spring/ summer/ fall. Many birds like Wilson’s warbler, western tanager, yellow warbler, Allen’s hummingbird, and bullocks oriole are birds that most Pisces are summer visitors, but since we are so far south, so they are year round residents. Unlike people in cold places, I don’t have to fear the birding in winter, but am super excited for the spring/summer/ fall, which lifers I get! 
Enjoy the year!

• Like 2

We now have at least 5 individual hummingbirds coming to our feeders.  Four are definitely Ruby-throated (1 male, 3 females) and the last is likely a female of that species (posted previously in ID help section).  

I have hung and filled my new oriole feeders and I am waiting with bated breath for one or more to arrive & partake!

Looks like so far in Portland we have Tree and Violet Green swallows, Turkey Vultures, Rufous Hummingbird, Western Bluebird, Green Heron, Band-tailed Pigeon, and my dad saw a Green Heron last week. 

2 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Looks like so far in Portland we have Tree and Violet Green swallows, Turkey Vultures, Rufous Hummingbird, Western Bluebird, Green Heron, Band-tailed Pigeon, and my dad saw a Green Heron last week. 

I can't wait for the Green Herons! I love those guys. Definitely in my Top 5. Now that I think of it, quite a few of my favorite birds to see and birds I really want to see are marsh birds... 

2 minutes ago, Avery said:

I can't wait for the Green Herons! I love those guys. Definitely in my Top 5. Now that I think of it, quite a few of my favorite birds to see and birds I really want to see are marsh birds... 

Marshes are the best. No doubt.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Colton V said:

Oops, just realized I said Green Heron twice lol.

I guess my gullcation has ended 😞 A couple California gulls have been reported along the river in the city. 
It was nice while it lasted. 

• Sad 1