Whatbird Community

The only thing that really migrates through here are Sandhill Cranes, and don't mean just a few I mean 7-12 thousand fly over my house every year in a 4-5 days.

• Like 2
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

24 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL  Hooded Warbler today!  He surprised us at dusk.  Hubby took pic while I marveled in his (the bird's not the hub's :D)  presence.  

Lifer! Yarder! BAIRD’S SANDPIPER today!!! Four of ‘em!

I've seen them displaying and I've flushed them before, but only once did I have a good view of one in the daytime. Here's the best picture I've taken of one. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/3133451

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

The only thing that really migrates through here are Sandhill Cranes, and don't mean just a few I mean 7-12 thousand fly over my house every year in a 4-5 days.

😲  I need to see photos of that!

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

😲  I need to see photos of that!

My aunt and uncle live out near Chicago, and they’ve already seen (heard) some cranes fly over! Get ready!

2 hours ago, Avery said:

My aunt and uncle live out near Chicago, and they’ve already seen (heard) some cranes fly over! Get ready!

It happened in the last three days.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

Well I guess it is time to start talking about the birds that are about to leave and the new arrivals we will see from other areas to raise their babies in our back yards. My American Goldfinches are half way transitioned into the bright yellow plumage. Look forward to all the Carribean, Central and South American birds showing up over the next couple of months!  Juncos and purple finches and siskins will be leaving in the next week or so. 

5 hours ago, lonestranger said:

There's already a discussion on the go for spring migration, @tclarkwood.

Oh ok... I never use any other part of this website other than backyard birds so that is why I have started the spring and fall migration topics here over the last few years. 

2 hours ago, Colton V said:

I'm a little late to the party, but I saw two Turkey Vultures yesterday

They're definingly headed up that way, there's has been a steady stream of them flying north over my house for the past few days. 

Had my FOS Vaux's Swift today, that was one extremely early bird. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aidan B said:

They're definingly headed up that way, there's has been a steady stream of them flying north over my house for the past few days. 

Had my FOS Vaux's Swift today, that was one extremely early bird. 

I forgot about that. I had a Vaux's last week flying over my house

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Most western breeding warblers winter in southern California in small numbers.

Yeah, hermit, townsends, yellow, black throated gray, yellowthroat, brown range crowned, and Wilson’s. Many only on the SoCal coast, though, not inland SoCal.

Edited by IKLland

I heard Sandhill Cranes flyover Bowling Green, KY about a week or so ago.  But haven't seen any birds but the usual suspects so far.  I wondered if the "deep freeze" the South endured might have affected the migrations.