Whatbird Community

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

24 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL  Hooded Warbler today!  He surprised us at dusk.  Hubby took pic while I marveled in his (the bird's not the hub's :D)  presence.  

Lifer! Yarder! BAIRD’S SANDPIPER today!!! Four of ‘em!

I've seen them displaying and I've flushed them before, but only once did I have a good view of one in the daytime. Here's the best picture I've taken of one. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/3133451

Posted Images

Usually the Pine Siskins do not stay this late in the year in Alabama.  I have had them in my yard since November.  I wonder how they know that it is not time to go back yet?  I have been expecting them to be gone any day but I have been thinking that way for the last month.  I am getting ready for the ruby throats!  They should start showing up in the next few weeks! 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:43 PM, Aveschapines said:

Forgot to say I also saw a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker last week!

I have a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker on my property here in Alabama.   Did you notice how they squeak like a dog's toy when they vocalize?  One of the "cutest" sounds of any bird in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, tclarkwood said:

I have a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker on my property here in Alabama.   Did you notice how they squeak like a dog's toy when they vocalize?  One of the "cutest" sounds of any bird in my opinion. 

Yes! That was what caught my attention. The bird was high up in a tree, pecking on a dead branch, and very well camouflaged.

Saw my first Starlings today and heard another American Tree Sparrow. 
The ponds across from me are now showing ice, so hopefully open water will return in the next week or so.

• Like 1

Saw my first Robin today and had a singing junco that made me think it was something exciting for longer than what I’d like to admit. The amount of geese around has also been increasing lately. 
The redpolls are now back flying over after being mostly absent since December. 

• Like 1

Also, someone recently shared this website: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/?source=S2&lat=40.4&lng=-3.73&zoom=12&preset=1-NATURAL-COLOR&layers=B01,B02,B03&maxcc=20&gain=1.0&gamma=1.0&time=2020-09-01|2021-03-16&atmFilter=&showDates=false

As a way to tell if certain ponds/lakes were ice free so you could save a trip or plan a trip for waterfowl. It provides a somewhat up to date (within a week or so) satellite imagery but pretty poor quality. Kinda neat to look around as well. 

• Like 1