Whatbird Community

Considered traveling half an hour tonight to try for American Woodcocks, as they have started moving through VT. Decided against it, as I am taking a trip tomorrow to see my grandparents, and I was feeling lazy. I thought, hey, might as well see if they are in the fields here. At the back of my house there is a barbed wire fence, and on the other side there is a small, rolling farm field and tiny wetland stream (its maybe got 11 rows of cattails across on average?). The field is small, but big enough that we sometimes see bluebirds, kestrels, tree swallows, and its where the blackbirds breed (and are singing now!). Maybe it would be fun to draw a map, in "bird terms" of my patch. Sound interesting to anyone? Anyway, I stepped outside, and within a minute I heard a "peent." I was able to locate the bird and got a recording, then watched as it decided the fields were better than one of my neighbor's driveway and flew over me and into the field. Good end to a long day.

Welcome the newest yardbird, the Timberdoodle!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S83639422

I had to edit the audio more than I'd like to to reduce the noise (I live next to a highway).

• Like 2
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

24 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL  Hooded Warbler today!  He surprised us at dusk.  Hubby took pic while I marveled in his (the bird's not the hub's :D)  presence.  

Lifer! Yarder! BAIRD’S SANDPIPER today!!! Four of ‘em!

I've seen them displaying and I've flushed them before, but only once did I have a good view of one in the daytime. Here's the best picture I've taken of one. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/3133451

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Avery said:

Considered traveling half an hour tonight to try for American Woodcocks, as they have started moving through VT. Decided against it, as I am taking a trip tomorrow to see my grandparents, and I was feeling lazy. I thought, hey, might as well see if they are in the fields here. At the back of my house there is a barbed wire fence, and on the other side there is a small, rolling farm field and tiny wetland stream (its maybe got 11 rows of cattails across on average?). The field is small, but big enough that we sometimes see bluebirds, kestrels, tree swallows, and its where the blackbirds breed (and are singing now!). Maybe it would be fun to draw a map, in "bird terms" of my patch. Sound interesting to anyone? Anyway, I stepped outside, and within a minute I heard a "peent." I was able to locate the bird and got a recording, then watched as it decided the fields were better than one of my neighbor's driveway and flew over me and into the field. Good end to a long day.

I had to edit the audio more than I'd like to to reduce the noise (I live next to a highway).

Great recording and congrats on the new yard bird!

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Avery said:

Here's the original recording to show the magic of audio editing! I tried using audacity, but I haven't gotten the hang of it. I used my DAW (Reason 11) and a few VST plugins and did it all manually to methodically bring down the noise in different ways to negate compression.Recording 3-18 19-14.wav

11 hours ago, Avery said:

Here's the original recording to show the magic of audio editing! I tried using audacity, but I haven't gotten the hang of it. I used my DAW (Reason 11) and a few VST plugins and did it all manually to methodically bring down the noise in different ways to negate compression.Recording 3-18 19-14.wav

The original is really not bad at all, but you did make it clearer.  I'm guessing by your equipment that you are a musician?  Mind if I ask what kind of music you play/make?  Everyone in my family is/was a musician, except for me...well, I am the least musically inclined out of everyone.  I try to make music sometimes...haha

19 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The original is really not bad at all, but you did make it clearer.  I'm guessing by your equipment that you are a musician?  Mind if I ask what kind of music you play/make?  Everyone in my family is/was a musician, except for me...well, I am the least musically inclined out of everyone.  I try to make music sometimes...haha

My family all play a wide variety of instruments. I have played in the school band as a trumpet player for 8 years, and many of my relatives play the piano and other various instruments. My uncle and I are both very rhythmical, and he was a Blue Man! I have a lot of different cultural influences in my family, so I get exposed to a lot of different types of music. Therefore, whatever kind of music I make depends on the mood I am in! Unfortunately, I don't finish a lot of the pieces I start. 

Here's a more recent creation of mine, if your interested.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Avery said:

My family all play a wide variety of instruments. I have played in the school band as a trumpet player for 8 years, and many of my relatives play the piano and other various instruments. My uncle and I are both very rhythmical, and he was a Blue Man! I have a lot of different cultural influences in my family, so I get exposed to a lot of different types of music. Therefore, whatever kind of music I make depends on the mood I am in! Unfortunately, I don't finish a lot of the pieces I start. 

Here's a more recent creation of mine, if your interested.

Good stuff, Avery!  I, too, have been exposed to and enjoy listening to a wide variety of music, from Scandinavian folk metal to electronica to prog rock to 80s pop.  You mean your uncle performed in concerts for THE Blue Man Group?!  That's awesome!

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Good stuff, Avery!  I, too, have been exposed to and enjoy listening to a wide variety of music, from Scandinavian folk metal to electronica to prog rock to 80s pop.  You mean your uncle performed in concerts for THE Blue Man Group?!  That's awesome!

Even better. He WAS a Blue Man! He led a world tour a few years back. I got to see him perform in Vegas a while ago, but sadly that was before my birding days.

• Like 1
Just now, Avery said:

Even better. He WAS a Blue Man! He led a world tour a few years back. I got to see him perform in Vegas a while ago, but sadly that was before my birding days.

WHAT?!?!  One of the original Blue Men?!  That's crazy!  We have The Complex Rock Tour Live DVD.  Was he in that one?

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

WHAT?!?!  One of the original Blue Men?!  That's crazy!  We have The Complex Rock Tour Live DVD.  Was he in that one?

Not sure. There are several groups around the world. He worked in rotation with the groups in Boston until COVID, and he did a lot of work with the group in Japan.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Avery said:

Not sure. There are several groups around the world. He worked in rotation with the groups in Boston until COVID, and he did a lot of work with the group in Japan.

Ah, okay.  That's so cool.

• Like 1

5 FOY yesterday.  Earliest record of Eastern Towhee for the county.  First March record with a pair of Double-crested Cormorants.  Finally found Horned Grebe, Tree Swallow and able to make it out for spectacular displays from at least 10 American Woodcocks.  

Heard my first spring peeper today! Not sure what the frog was doing out and about. It’s VT after all, we could get a foot of snow in early May

Edited by Avery

In the interior of BC I saw tree swallows, a yellow-rumped warbler, and lots of migrating ducks and geese. Also large flocks of robins. 
Haven’t really been out to see if anything new has arrived here, but lots of reports coming in with migrating waterfowl, cackling geese, and mountain bluebirds. 

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Heard my first spring peeper today! Not sure what the frog was doing out and about. It’s VT after all, we could get a foot of snow in early May

I did too!  They didn't sing for very long, though.  Same for the woodcocks.

32 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I did too!  They didn't sing for very long, though.  Same for the woodcocks.

Nice! Haven’t heard a timberdoodle again yet. 

• Like 1