Whatbird Community

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

24 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL  Hooded Warbler today!  He surprised us at dusk.  Hubby took pic while I marveled in his (the bird's not the hub's :D)  presence.  

Lifer! Yarder! BAIRD’S SANDPIPER today!!! Four of ‘em!

I've seen them displaying and I've flushed them before, but only once did I have a good view of one in the daytime. Here's the best picture I've taken of one. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/3133451

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Colton V said:

Three Orange-crowned Warblers today, my first ones of the year.

IMG_9974.JPG

Nice shot! They are permanent residents down here, do they only breed up by you?

ps: my list is now. at 195( Merlin, CASJ( finally!!)

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

Nice shot! They are permanent residents down here, do they only breed up by you?

ps: my list is now. at 195( Merlin, CASJ( finally!!)

They’re not rare here in the winter, but they’re pretty uncommon. According to the bar charts, they’re most common during spring and fall migration. 

Nice job on the Scrub-Jay! I knew you’d get one in no time. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Had the first of year Black-chinned Hummingbird at our feeder today! He didn't stick around long enough for a photo. 😟 Always glad to see them return every year.

Nice. They are some of my favorite hummingbirds. I was extremely lucky last year and had one in the fall at my house, one of only 2 (maybe 3) records in the county last year. Hopefully it’ll return. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Had the first of year Black-chinned Hummingbird at our feeder today! He didn't stick around long enough for a photo. 😟 Always glad to see them return every year.

Definitely coming in! I had five today and eight yesterday at my patch over in Fair Oaks!

• Like 1

Singing Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and a late Rusty Blackbird at “my” hotspot! Yesterday someone had the first Bittern of the year there 😡 

• Like 1

Hermit Thrush! It was close enough I could hear it singing under its breath... 🥰

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/326969211

Hermit Thrush

One of my favorite memories of a HETH was when I was at a birthday party for one of my parent's friends, and there was a new birder there, who I knew really like thrushes, and was also having trouble actually seeing Ovenbirds. Being the reserved antisocial person I am, I walked the property and did a little birding. I saw a group of Ovenbirds fighting! So, I went back, and grabbed the other birder. We walked down, and luckily the birds were still there! We enjoyed them together for a few minutes, then started back towards the party when they flew off. We were talking about how his favorite bird is the Veery, but he loved all the thrush songs. I mentioned I had been hearing a Hermit Thrush, then out of the corner of my eye I see a brown bird fly out of the woods and land on a stump, maybe 15 feet from us, in the yard. A Hermit Thrush! He was like, "Oh my god, is that...?" And then, it started softly singing. It did a few rounds, then finished up its solo, and flew off. I love birds😊

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally saw a yellow-rumped warbler today. They've been around but I have the sense we're getting the migration a little later this year so there aren't as many yet as I've been hoping for. Just happened to be in a tree beside a playground.

Had my FoY BHVI today as well as my first AMBI at the pond! I’ve been trying to find one there for a while. There’s a good bit of marsh, and the neighbors have seen them before. Now I just need to get, Snipe, Woodcock, VIRA, Sora, and (a bit of a reach, like first county record reach) Least Bittern to complete the marsh birds there!

Also, the PUFIs are back!

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1

Had a phone meeting today that I took from my favourite birding spot in my patch, and there were two Wilson's and four yellow-rumped warblers hopping around right in front of me. Of course they all disappeared as soon as I was done and grabbed the camera out of my bag but it was still fun to watch. The Wilson's just started showing up here yesterday so I was happy to see them already.

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe most folks are aware of this already, but I just stumbled on it for the first time.  Colorado State and Cornell maintain a migration forecast website.  Their models use 23 years of weather radar images.  They provide a nationwide forecast for the next 3 days.  I don't know how useful they are, but the science is fascinating to me.

Based on the current forecast, our friends in the Midwest and in my neck of the woods (northeast) might be in for some good yard birding over the next couple of days.

https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/migration-forecast-maps/

To the topic at hand, over the last week+ I've had a pretty good run of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Baltimore Orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at my feeders (SE PA).  Also saw my first Scarlet Tanager of the year yesterday.

2074546337_BaltimoreOriole(female)-backyard-WestChesterPA(3)-5-1-21large.thumb.jpg.ca5e5f3f0216a810cc4ffe5d1691cb92.jpg

• Like 2

Big wave of warblers and migrants today! My FoYs were Green Heron, American Redstart, Black-throated Blue Warbler, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, Least Sandpiper, Baltimore Oriole, Bobolink, Eastern Meadowlark, White-crowned Sparrow, and Common Tern, plus migrating White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Lesser Scaup, Rough-legged Hawk, and American Pipit!

• Like 4

Baltimore and Orchard Orioles, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds found our feeders this past week but I have yet to see a warbler. Surprisingly, we are still seeing Juncos almost daily though. 

• Like 3