Whatbird Community

Please identify this bird. I would like to keep it around.

39 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Welcome to Whatbird from a fellow New Mexican!  Your bird sure looks like a Curve-billed Thrasher to me.  (LeConte's Thrasher doesn't live here.)

Why not crissal?

42 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Why not crissal?

I don't have much experience with Crissal Thrashers (OK, I saw one once), but I'd be surprised if it looked quite so contrastingly dark above and pale below, even in that lighting.  I can't see any sign of the black and white stripes on Crissal's face.  But mostly, Crissal is a secretive bird of wild areas, and Curve-billed is a common and bold yard bird in much of New Mexico, the way this bird is described.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Why not crissal?

As Jerry points out, Crissal is not so much a suburban bird as Curve-billed is. But that's ignoring the elephant in the room (not to mention the other field marks)- Crissal has a rufous vent where this bird does not.

• Like 2

If anything, Bendire's would be the bird to eliminate here; juvie Curve-billed can look almost identical to Bendire's, and I don't know off the top of my head that we can eliminate it purely based on field marks (though the bill looks long), as this looks fairly young given the markings below. That said, location location location. Bendire's is not typically a bird of suburbia, and (I suspect, though not sure) Bendire's would probably be rare this time of year in this location.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 1

If this is Crissal, the underparts would have to be so washed out in the picture that I'm not sure the rufous "crissum" would be visible.

I certainly should have thought of Bendire's Thrasher, though I've never seen one.  I think they're pretty rare in New Mexico, where they occur at all.  The bill does seem too long and curved, as far as I can tell.  (And wouldn't last year's Curve-bills look adult by now?)

Sibley goes so far as to say "Bendire's is not found" in suburban yards.  I imagine that also applies to small towns.

57 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

If this is Crissal, the underparts would have to be so washed out in the picture that I'm not sure the rufous "crissum" would be visible.

I certainly should have thought of Bendire's Thrasher, though I've never seen one.  I think they're pretty rare in New Mexico, where they occur at all.  The bill does seem too long and curved, as far as I can tell.  (And wouldn't last year's Curve-bills look adult by now?)

Sibley goes so far as to say "Bendire's is not found" in suburban yards.  I imagine that also applies to small towns.

I've once had Bendire's in a city park within the Phoenix area, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. However, my musings were largely for the sake of argument. This is pretty clearly a Curve-billed.

• Like 1