Whatbird Community

A friend of mine sent this picture from central Florida just a couple of day ago. He has never seen this bird in the area and it really caught his eye. I have looked at several sites on the web  and "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds" No luck with a perfect match! Please help!May be an image of bird and nature

8 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I see some black in the wings...

Yeah, females can have some dark coloration on the primary and tertial tips, a female Scarlet Tanager should have more extensive dark coloration throughout the wings. Additionally, I think the bill shape of this bird fits better for a Summer. I could be wrong though, I’ve only seen one male before, so hopefully someone with more experience can step in. 

866CC848-9E5A-4783-A910-A701E881E83D.png

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

Yeah, females can have some dark coloration on the primary and tertial tips, a female Scarlet Tanager should have more extensive dark coloration throughout the wings. Additionally, I think the bill shape of this bird fits better for a Summer. I could be wrong though, I’ve only seen one male before, so hopefully someone with more experience can step in. 

866CC848-9E5A-4783-A910-A701E881E83D.png

Thanks! 100% on board with Summer Tanager now.

• Like 2
On 3/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, brucej said:

Thank you guys! There is so much variation in the black on the wings that I was not sure of my identification. 

That’s what we’re here for! :classic_biggrin: Welcome to Whatbird!

• Like 1