Whatbird Community

Hi, this siskin jumped out as being a bit odd. Pale, not much streaking on the front, sharp contrast between cap/auriculars and the rest of the face, different from any of the siskins I've seen. The closest I can find in macaulay are birds tagged as green morph, but this looks too pale for that. Just a slightly odd siskin, or is this something specific that I don't know how to ID?

1208479439_weirdsiskin1.thumb.JPG.822b2d5476736d86eddd0fbf0f10420c.JPG

1324493934_weirdsiskin2.thumb.JPG.e7ebcafde36d9ac989b5d999458081cd.JPG

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PaulK said:

Because it was fluffed up, or because it was pale?

Both I think. Though 8 can’t compare it to when I get sick, because I don’t fluff up! ( well, I usually don’t)...😁

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Both are good indicators of salmonella. Probably seemed extra friendly too?

Honestly it's hard to tell if they're being extra friendly. There are two feeders across from my place and the siskins (normal, healthy-looking ones) will let people within a few feet while on the feeder. They've completely lost all sense of people danger. This one was hopping around eating the seed under a feeder, and didn't seem too lethargic. I've seen some badly sick ones and this didn't jump out as such. Hopefully it will recover...

13 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Both are good indicators of salmonella. Probably seemed extra friendly too?

I could be wrong, but how could paleness be an indicator of salmonella? That would require a complete molt after contracting the disease for it to be noticable

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Hasan said:

I could be wrong, but how could paleness be an indicator of salmonella? That would require a complete molt after contracting the disease for it to be noticable

I'm not really sure, but every sick Siskin I've seen is very pale, much like this bird.

31 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not really being serious, but how would we eliminate juvenile Eurasian Siskin. They look similar to this bird

Because we’re not being serious, I’d say it’s because it doesn’t have an accent 😋

But seriously, from sibleys illustration, Eurasian Siskin would have a greenish face and breast, thick streaking on the breast and flanks, as well as a thicker bill and oppositely curved culmen. They also don’t have such a contrastingly streaked back. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Avery said:

Because we’re not being serious, I’d say it’s because it doesn’t have an accent 😋

But seriously, from sibleys illustration, Eurasian Siskin would have a greenish face and breast, thick streaking on the breast and flanks, as well as a thicker bill and oppositely curved culmen. They also don’t have such a contrastingly streaked back. 

Here’s the image from the Collins book of a juvenile61639C1B-A855-4817-893D-6BE61FB675D4.thumb.png.da67949d3a92ee2e2235318015981b89.png

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

Here’s the image from the Collins book of a juvenile61639C1B-A855-4817-893D-6BE61FB675D4.thumb.png.da67949d3a92ee2e2235318015981b89.png

Oh lol forgot I have that book too 😂. Shoulda gone there. Juvie didn’t cross my mind. From that diagram, the main differences I see are the paleness of the face (which isn’t helpful here, as pine siskins are variable) and the stronger streaking on the breast and shoulders. 

36 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Interestingly my ebird reviewer said I should call this a green morph.

That actually makes a lot of sense! There is yellow edging on the wing coverts, and there is slight yellow on the rump. Do you have any photos that have the UnTC? Green morphs can be very pale and lightly marked

18 minutes ago, Avery said:

That actually makes a lot of sense! There is yellow edging on the wing coverts, and there is slight yellow on the rump. Do you have any photos that have the UnTC? Green morphs can be very pale and lightly marked

This is the best I have, and in looking at it I can see a bit more yellow in the back than I'd expect. What's interesting is when I played with the bird in Instagram, increasing the saturation just a little had some pale yellow pop out around the face, which you can see a bit in the first (unedited) picture of the bird from behind at the top of the thread.

image.thumb.png.e03e17c408ad05d54c183eaa1b58ab4d.png

You can see a little yellow in the UnTC in this pick. I’m good with Green Morph! I’ll have to go back through my photos to look for drab ones now...

• Like 1