Whatbird Community

I know this may be a long shot, but can anyone ID this bird from this horrible shot? It was soaring overhead. By the time I got set up to take a picture, he was moving on. Taken in Toronto, Canada today.

Soaring.JPG

I don't think that wing shape or the birds coloration support Bald Eagle. I believe the angle of the photo is possibly showing the other wing tip looking like the beak. If I were to guess I would say an accipiter of some sort - juvenile Coopers perhaps?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kerri said:

I believe the angle of the photo is possibly showing the other wing tip looking like the beak.

I'm not sure of the bird's orientation either. I question whether the obvious wing is the top of the far wing or the underside of the closer wing. Maybe I've been looking at too many optical illusions lately, but I can see this bird from both perspectives.

26 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

or the underside of the closer wing.

Bingo! In my opinion:

Blue is the underside of the closest wing.

Red is the tip of the farther wing.

Black is the underside.

Green is the tail.

If you zoom in you can see the head behind where the blue and red come to gather. I can even see the eye and bill.

Soaring.JPG.7dc006bab50c5450f312d6bb4fe7cf6d.JPG.87df6f65e76f75d3a6e453c3900c31a2.JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

I have enlarged the photo but don't have software to enhance. I see orange which i think are the legs underlined in red, I also see some orange circled in blue which I think is the beak and circled in black is brown color which maybe tail or vent coloration. 

zoom.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Ehh, I don't think Kevin's illustration is correct.  I think the head is the red portion.

Except there are no hawks or eagles or kites or falcons..that have that bill shape. At least not in North American. I think Kevin nailed it.

3 minutes ago, Clip said:

Except there are no hawks or eagles or kites or falcons..that have that bill shape. At least not in North American. I think Kevin nailed it.

Yes, but maybe it's carrying something.  I just don't think wingtips can bend like that.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

Looking again, I now see that this bird isn't a Bald. The wing shape is wrong. I think it's carrying something green. Here's what I now see:

90650962_ScreenShot2021-03-07at1_35_16PM.png.88f734671ea0dd5da5cc10cb33bc5a64.png

• Like 2

Everyone is forgetting the impacts of telephoto photography and tiny images. One has to make allowances for such effects, which often include scalloping.

I cannot imagine how the close wing would look so singularly pointed when the far wing is not. The far wing is closed only a little, with the leading edge of the primaries angled only slightly backward.

The flight feathers on that wing are blackish, contrasting darker than the brown coverts — typical of immature Bald Eagles.

• Like 4