Whatbird Community

I need help identifying a bird ive never seen here before.I have searched diligently and found nothing.I have no video or photo,sorry.Location is central Alabama.Winter here about 45°outside.The bird was meduim sized.Its size and shape was similar to a robin but slightly smaller.It was light grey with a solid black head from the neck up (not capped).The contrast from the grey body to the black head was sudden and not fading into it.There was some black on the wings possibly shoulder area.The call was like "ree".Its tone was as if someone saying "really?"That was the only call it made with 3 second intervals.The ree was smooth and not scratchy,with an up-talking tone like younger generation ppl use.Catbirds are common here and it wasn't one of them.I didn't see it at my feeders but about 20ft up in a tree across the creek in my backyard.I have seen it 2 days in a row.Hopefully tomorrow I can catch a pic of it.Anyone have some ideas?Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@Red Neckerson, welcome to Whatbird! 

Could it gave been a Gray Catbird with its head in shadow?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gray_Catbird/overview

EDIT - sorry, I missed that you said it wasn't a catburd.

Then again, a shadow could possibly cause some confusion so this is still valid. I’m having trouble thinking of anything to suggest

4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Then again, a shadow could possibly cause some confusion so this is still valid. I’m having trouble thinking of anything to suggest

I'm working my way through orioles, grackles, other blackbirds, towhees, juncos, robin, but I not getting anything I like.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

I'm not familiar with the species but I'm wondering if it couldn't be an Eastern wood peewee. I was originally thinking flycatcher so was going through calls. I know the western ones sometimes look (to me!) like they have darker heads. This probably makes no sense in context but since there aren't any good leads...

I got a closer look at it today.All along,it was an Eastern Towhee lol.I seen so many times before,but this particular one had very little orange on it at all.Thank you very much for those that were eager to help me identify it.

• Like 4