Whatbird Community

Now is the time in this part of Michigan you have to try to play "Where's the Brewer's?" in all the large mixed blackbird flocks.  Pretty sure this is a male and a female.  The male just has a different GISS than the Rusties and I've never seen one with that green sheen to it.  Not 100% sure the flight shot is the same bird.  The female has the dark eye, although that supercilium seems awfully strong.  

91a4189_orig.jpg

91a4214_orig.jpg

91a4218_orig.jpg

91a4254_orig.jpg

91a4251_orig.jpg

91a4231-2_orig.jpg

All females are Rusties, and all the males almost certainly are too, though technically I don't think they're identifiable from the photos. It's still very early for Brewer's in the midwest.

1 hour ago, Hasan said:

All females are Rusties, and all the males almost certainly are too, though technically I don't think they're identifiable from the photos. It's still very early for Brewer's in the midwest.

There have been Brewer's sighted from a month ago, and a week ago only 35 miles from this spot.  I'll give the male may not be definitive enough, but the female has dark eyes.  I thought that was a deal sealer for BRBL females to distinguish with RUBL.  I know the BRBL female can occasionally have pale eyes, but didn't think the reverse worked for RUBL.  

1 minute ago, chipperatl said:

There have been Brewer's sighted from a month ago, and a week ago only 35 miles from this spot.  I'll give the male may not be definitive enough, but the female has dark eyes.  I thought that was a deal sealer for BRBL females to distinguish with RUBL.  I know the BRBL female can occasionally have pale eyes, but didn't think the reverse worked for RUBL.  

I won't weigh in on eye color as I don't have extensive knowledge of that off the top of my head.... But, all the females in this photo are rusty in coloration, and have a strong eyeline. It's classic Rusty, and completely incompatible with Brewer's. A common mistake when birding is to focus one particular field mark while ignoring the bird holistically. Also, FWIW, Brewer's are commonly mis-IDed in the east (and the reverse out west). Yes, Brewer's is possible, but Rusty outnumbers it 1000-1 and it's a tricky ID to make.