Whatbird Community

Other bird with call similar to Scarlet Tanager?

Almost certainly something else, but see above. The first typical suspect in anything like that way out-of-season is EuroStarling. That species is the undoubted cause of lots of reports of radically early Common Nighthawks, of Soras in treetops, and number of other temporally or geographically mis-placed birds.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

While physically being in treetops would be virtually impossible , they are often detected on NFCs

It's a good thing that you used the adverb "virtually," as I have seen a Sora in the inside of a Jack Pine near the top; a migrant at Whitefish Point.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I had a couple last spring over my house while listening for NFCs.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69126997

I've always wanted to get into NFCs.... What does that process look like? How on earth do you differentiate all the chips and little notes? I've got the eastern warbler songs down (though some trip me up like Cape May vs Bay-breasted) but I can't comprehend how one can identify it purely on a single chip. Also, do you usually stand outside and listen? Or just record and listen later?

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Hasan said:

I've always wanted to get into NFCs.... What does that process look like? How on earth do you differentiate all the chips and little notes? I've got the eastern warbler songs down (though some trip me up like Cape May vs Bay-breasted) but I can't comprehend how one can identify it purely on a single chip. Also, do you usually stand outside and listen? Or just record and listen later?

It’s a lot of recording first and identifying later. I use audacity a lot to compare spectrograms and general editing of the clip. There are more advanced systems that can even automatically identify common flight calls, but I’ve heard they’re very complicated and I haven’t gotten into  them yet. And I can’t differentiate between warbler call notes, I’m not that good haha. Thank goodness there is a Facebook group for NFCs where I posted some that weren’t obvious. That’s where some super good people got the chip note to species. And yeah, typically I’ll remain outside so I can hear why my setup is picking up and therefor be able to use my own eBird account to submit everything. Although some people I know make alt accounts for when they just leave a recorder going all night and don’t listen in person. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hasan said:

How on earth do you differentiate all the chips and little notes? I've got the eastern warbler songs down (though some trip me up like Cape May vs Bay-breasted) but I can't comprehend how one can identify it purely on a single chip. 

Spectrograms help greatly. Here is and older but well known resource. It’s a start anyways.

http://oldbird.org/pubs/fcmb/start.htm

http://www.oldbird.org/Library.htm

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...