Whatbird Community

Cismontanus or Slate-colored Junco

I'm far from certain, but I think this is Cismontanus. In the first photo, it appears to have pinkish brown flanks,and in the third photo it looks hooded. You can also see in the second picture how brown the back is. 

Lightening the photos and maybe cropping them would be a big help with this bird. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 1

The bird looks to be a female type, and the hood is not really well defined if there at all. As we discussed in a previous thread, it's doubtful that female cismontanus is even separable from female Slate-colored. And this seems perfectly within natural variation of pure female Slate-colored.

• Like 1

First, location, date? I assume San Mateo County, but still important to add.

Second, I would definitely report this, or really any female Slate-type in the Bay Area, as Slate-colored/cismontanus.

2 hours ago, Hasan said:

It's doubtful that female cismontanus is even separable from female Slate-colored.

This is exactly why you should report it as Slate-colored/cismontanus. If you can’t say for sure which it is, use the slash.

2 hours ago, Hasan said:

And this seems perfectly within natural variation of pure female Slate-colored.

It’s also within range of variation for cismontanus. I believe a majority of the identifiable male Slate-types in the Bay Area are not totally pure Slate-colored. At least in the East Bay counties, Alameda and Contra Costa, Slate-colored is considered rare, while “cismontanus” is not. So, cismontanus (or at least SCJU x ORJU intergrade) is the more expected here. You shouldn’t claim it as Slate-colored unless you’re really sure! Definitely go with Slate-colored/cismontanus