Whatbird Community

Bluebird Nesting 2021

I did not see where anyone had started this thread yet for 2021.  My bluebird pair have been eating suet at the bird feeders and flying around the property talking to one another but they have not put any pine straw in the box yet.  I am sure it is about to start.  I believe I had eggs before the end of March last year.   I remember seeing fire flys (lightening bugs) on March 14th last year and my bluebirds had already started constructing their nest. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a bird fountain based on a heated bird bath for a couple years now, and last year I put a camera on it to watch the birds.  I shut down the fountain for the winter, but since the bird bath is heated I kept it full of water, and was delighted to spot Bluebirds at it several times over the winter.  A couple weeks ago I placed a small glass jar in it with mealworms in it, on the theory that the heated water ought to be enough to keep the worms alive, and it was, and the bluebirds have found the mealworms.  They aren't nest building in my boxes yet, but they often don't here for a few weeks yet, but they're definitely hanging around.  I can't wait!

fount.20210326_150757535.4.jpg

• Like 3

While I was away in New York this past week, my female laid her 4 eggs for her first brood. Last year she raised 3 clutches all 4 eggs each.  All 12 baby bluebirds left the nest. These are the same bluebird parents that I have had for 3 years now. They are tough and experienced. 

11953011-6E55-49E6-93B2-9FA96E875220.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Our backyard Eastern Bluebirds fledged 3 babies either night before last or yesterday morning. You can only see two babies in the photo below but we saw 3 through binoculars. Last year they did as many as 4 per brood. If memory serves Dad took care of the fledglings after just a couple of days outside the nest and Mom began sitting on a new brood.

031.JPG

040.JPG

• Like 6

@Clip -  You are about 2 weeks ahead of me in Alabama.  3 of the 4 eggs hatched on April 9th at my place and 5 out of 5 eggs hatched at my mother's house 70 miles North of me on about the same day.  We had cold front blow in here last night and it got down to 32 degrees so I hope all the babies made it through it.  I would imagine that they did.  Yes... My experience is that the dad shows the youngsters the ropes usually for at least a couple of weeks before the mother bluebird goes back and rebuilds a new nest or spruces up an existing nest to start a new brood.  Usually at least 3 weeks pass between having a fledge and seeing new eggs but it can take longer than that.  That has been my experience.   I saw the male take a piece of suet cake into the nest box and give it to a baby and that was the first time I have ever seen that.  Usually he only takes small insects into the box.  Pretty weird.  Either he is getting lazy or having a hard time finding insects.  Good luck with your next brood and thanks for posting! 

• Like 1

I just started watching birds.  I started with a tube feeder, for no particular reason and filled it with "song bird" food.  I keep seeing these birds that are similar to blue jays (male of course) in color and pattern.  I would love to know what they are.

Thank you,

Stuart

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

1 hour ago, Stuart0 said:

I just started watching birds.  I started with a tube feeder, for no particular reason and filled it with "song bird" food.  I keep seeing these birds that are similar to blue jays (male of course) in color and pattern.  I would love to know what they are.

Thank you,

Stuart

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Welcome to Whatbird! Always glad to get new birders on here. We hope you stick around and ask any questions you have!

Our Eastern Bluebird pair brought around a couple of their younguns this morning. Photos of two below. They fledged 3 but I only saw two today. This was the first time seeing them since they fledged. For some reason the parents always take them into neighboring yards to begin their time outside the nest.

010.JPG

019.JPG

• Like 2

Saw Momma Bluebird back in the nest yesterday sitting on a new brood. It took longer this year than I recall from last year. I course my recall could be off.

• 2 weeks later...

All 3 chicks fledged last week. The female did not even remove the unhatched egg this time. This is the first time I’ve seen the female not remove the unhatched egg. I removed the nest and Power washed the box so I’m sure I will see new pine straw starting to accumulate within the next 2 weeks for a second brood! 

• Like 1

My regular pair seems to be stuck on 5.  Last year, they had two sets of 5 eggs.  One egg did not hatch, but they fledged and raised 9 youngsters.

This year, they got started about two weeks earlier (I am 95% sure it is the same breeding pair).  Their first brood for this year was... you guessed it... 5!  They fledged on May 2.  All 5 are doing well.  Here they are on May 10.

Mom is already taking nesting material to the box.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:20 AM, Clip said:

... For some reason the parents always take them into neighboring yards to begin their time outside the nest.

Funny you should mention that.  Mine do the exact same thing.

28821447_EasternBluebirds-backyard-WestChesterPA(1)-5-10-21large.thumb.jpg.c492e62189d26fc7b0ccba8b2067a28c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My second broods had 3 eggs this morning at my house and 2 eggs at moms house 70 miles north of my house.  So I’m thinking incubation will be starting between today and Wednesday at both places.  I’m a little behind where I was last year so 3 broods will be max this if they attempt a 3rd brood 

• 3 weeks later...

Some type of bird has come in and built nesting material over the top of the eggs!  I threw everything out since the bluebird Eggs seem unviable and have not seen the female on the eggs in 2 weeks.  What kind of bird just starts building a new nest right over the top of any existing nest with eggs? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We had a very cold period in April which lasted 12 days.  Since then no bluebird sightings.  A neighbor checked out her boxes for signs of nest building and in one box found 7 dead birds.  Do they gather in boxes when bad weather comes?

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, BlueX said:

We had a very cold period in April which lasted 12 days.  Since then no bluebird sightings.  A neighbor checked out her boxes for signs of nest building and in one box found 7 dead birds.  Do they gather in boxes when bad weather comes?

Sorry to hear that.  Yes, they do huddle in boxes during cold nights.

• Like 4