Whatbird Community

Speaking from zero real life experience here. 
This honestly sounds more like a blackbird or something similar to me. Clapper Rail calls that I have listened to have been more harsh and piercing, and often speed up and are fast paced. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Avery said:

Speaking from zero real life experience here. 
This honestly sounds more like a blackbird or something similar to me. Clapper Rail calls that I have listened to have been more harsh and piercing, and often speed up and are fast paced. 

Coming from more of a herpetological exposure (son-in-law), this sounds a lot like a Cricket Frog, but I'm no expert on either species.  I put it on BirdNet and Clapper Rail did not come up, so maybe the call is amphibious.  Or ambiguous (to me)...

Edited by floraphile
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

This sounds at least something like (it's hard to tell with this recording) the frog that gets mistaken for Yellow Rail. Clapper Rail calls have a grunting quality and they're generally lower-pitched than this.

I've sent the audio & spectrogram to my son-in-law.  I will update with his reply.

In my experience there’s no question about it when you hear a Clapper/Ridgway’s Rail vocalize. They’re REALLY loud!

This recording isn’t a Clapper Rail. I’m not sure what it is though.

49 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Gotta ask. ?why always the question mark before the question.

I have always wondered about this as well haha.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

In my experience there’s no question about it when you hear a Clapper/Ridgway’s Rail vocalize. They’re REALLY loud!

This recording isn’t a Clapper Rail. I’m not sure what it is though.

I have always wondered about this as well haha.

Well now y'all know, lol.  There are far worse transgressions to the written English language.

22 minutes ago, floraphile said:

A consensus among contacted herpetological experts is that this is not a Cricket Frog. So maybe it is a blackbird sp. as @Avery suggested.  Also could a Marsh or Sedge  Wren sound thus?

Yes, this is a Marsh Wren call. 

Apologies, I didn't listen to the recording earlier. Having just done do, it's a MAWR.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Yes, this is a Marsh Wren call. 

Apologies, I didn't listen to the recording earlier. Having just done do, it's a MAWR.

That improperly placed question mark distracted you. 😄   Thank you for the ID.

Edited by floraphile
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1