Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

Speaking from zero real life experience here. 
This honestly sounds more like a blackbird or something similar to me. Clapper Rail calls that I have listened to have been more harsh and piercing, and often speed up and are fast paced. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Avery said:

Speaking from zero real life experience here. 
This honestly sounds more like a blackbird or something similar to me. Clapper Rail calls that I have listened to have been more harsh and piercing, and often speed up and are fast paced. 

Coming from more of a herpetological exposure (son-in-law), this sounds a lot like a Cricket Frog, but I'm no expert on either species.  I put it on BirdNet and Clapper Rail did not come up, so maybe the call is amphibious.  Or ambiguous (to me)...

Edited by floraphile
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

This sounds at least something like (it's hard to tell with this recording) the frog that gets mistaken for Yellow Rail. Clapper Rail calls have a grunting quality and they're generally lower-pitched than this.

I've sent the audio & spectrogram to my son-in-law.  I will update with his reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience there’s no question about it when you hear a Clapper/Ridgway’s Rail vocalize. They’re REALLY loud!

This recording isn’t a Clapper Rail. I’m not sure what it is though.

49 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Gotta ask. ?why always the question mark before the question.

I have always wondered about this as well haha.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

In my experience there’s no question about it when you hear a Clapper/Ridgway’s Rail vocalize. They’re REALLY loud!

This recording isn’t a Clapper Rail. I’m not sure what it is though.

I have always wondered about this as well haha.

Well now y'all know, lol.  There are far worse transgressions to the written English language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, floraphile said:

A consensus among contacted herpetological experts is that this is not a Cricket Frog. So maybe it is a blackbird sp. as @Avery suggested.  Also could a Marsh or Sedge  Wren sound thus?

Yes, this is a Marsh Wren call. 

Apologies, I didn't listen to the recording earlier. Having just done do, it's a MAWR.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Yes, this is a Marsh Wren call. 

Apologies, I didn't listen to the recording earlier. Having just done do, it's a MAWR.

That improperly placed question mark distracted you. 😄   Thank you for the ID.

Edited by floraphile
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...