Whatbird Community

Tent Caterpillars & Cuckoos

Having read about the huge decline of the various cuckoo species, we hoped to see some Eastern Tent Caterpillars set up shop in some Prunus spp. scattered about our rural property.  Lo and behold, when we checked the site today, there were several nests with active larvae.  Any of the cuckoos would be Lifers, so  ✌️

Feeding the birds.  ❤️ 

Anybody else have experience with this?  

And to think of how many nests I have destroyed in my lifetime, not knowing...

Edited by floraphile
more info

My first experience with a cuckoo was very interesting. I was in NH, and we were staying at our families old farmhouse, which had a bunch of logging done recently. I’m hoping with the expanded fields we can get meadowlarks! Anyway, I had my lifer YBCU there! I was walking down the road, trying to see it, and I literally had caterpillars raining down on me. Saw some really cool looking ones. Never saw that cuckoo...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Avery said:

My first experience with a cuckoo was very interesting. I was in NH, and we were staying at our families old farmhouse, which had a bunch of logging done recently. I’m hoping with the expanded fields we can get meadowlarks! Anyway, I had my lifer YBCU there! I was walking down the road, trying to see it, and I literally had caterpillars raining down on me. Saw some really cool looking ones. Never saw that cuckoo...

Raining caterpillars!  I like it.  🙂 

On 3/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, Avery said:

Not sure if you're old enough to remember the huge Vermont tent caterpillar invasion in, I think, 2004.  It was raining caterpillars AND their poop and we had to pick them off of us when we came inside!  The roads were covered in smashed caterpillars and they were floating down rivers.  I wish I was a birder then!

• Like 2