Whatbird Community

DCCO or CANG or?

cormorant or goose? Really? Yeah... Sun was getting lower and I was leaving my local hostpot(NW Arkansas, just the other day) when I got the tail end of a V in the sky... tried through the binoculars...unsure... TRIED to grab a pic... thought I failed til I just found part of it in the lower corner of the photo... so, here's a clip of the whole flock(I believe, 10 to 15 birds maybe) and after I'll see if I can choose part of the pic that looks like it shows more detail on the birds... I like having ID's for my eBird checklists... at the time I just left this off completely...

image.thumb.png.0c291ec5324dd8e876be872b8d4143c7.png

image.thumb.png.49703280ab9268afdeaef2f10a059c32.png

image.thumb.png.d644d4ed9f146e94c15f873a6416200f.png

9 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Geese. Tails are too short for Cormorants.

I'm not going to say you're wrong... but, can we judge the length of anything? This is shot from almost directly behind the birds as they were just about out of view.
If they had been making sound I would have looked up sooner. Hate when I just get the tail end of something... 
Might not be identifiable, at least to exact species, so I may just leave them off the list.

• Like 1

Just now, millipede said:

I'm not going to say you're wrong... but, can we judge the length of anything? This is shot from almost directly behind the birds as they were just about out of view.
If they had been making sound I would have looked up sooner. Hate when I just get the tail end of something... 
Might not be identifiable, at least to exact species, so I may just leave them off the list.

Since they didn’t vocalize, that makes me want to lean cormorant now. I guess there’s no way of telling for sure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Since they didn’t vocalize, that makes me want to lean cormorant now.

That's one of the reasons I considered cormorants in the first place...  not too high flying v, not a huge group, headed north of the lake. It's been a while since I've observed it but certain times of year there's flock after flock after flock of cormorants that head north, I believe heading from one body of water to another one... There's a few good bodies of water in the area and I think, during certain times of year, they move around from one to the other every day... I think.

I waited a little while to see if anymore would fly over for me to be certain but no other groups came by.
About  18 canada geese at the lake that day but they were NOISY... and stuck around.
eh... I'm sure it wasn't a group of rare birds I've never seen before so I'm not too worried. 🙂

Based on the photos alone I’d definitely leave it unidentified. This is the sort of thing you have a much better shot at IDing in the field than IDing from photos. (The sort of thing I’d recommend focusing on watching with binoculars in the field for as long as necessary/possible, rather than photographing).

Tony might be able to give an answer.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with leaving stuff like this off checklists completely. eBird asks if you’re reporting all birds you can identify; if you observe something but just get such poor/brief looks you can’t identify it at all, there’s nothing wrong with leaving it off the checklist. Sure, you could also enter it as “bird sp”. But I’d probably just leave it off the list.

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 3