Whatbird Community

Carolina Wren & Cooper's Hawk

16 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL

I  looked out the window to see a Carolina Wren flattened to an incredibly small lump on one of the feeders and in a strange posture.  He was looking at me with a weird, rather imploring expression (realizing I'm anthropomorphizing).  Thinking he might have been injured, or infected with the dreaded Salmonella, I got up to go see about him, but before I opened the door, a Cooper's Hawk swooped down and attempted to pluck a bird from another feeder.   The wren remained as motionless as when I first saw him until a good 7 or 8 minutes had passed, then another Carolina Wren began to sing loudly from a very open & visible perch--I suppose giving the "all-clear".  At this apparent signal, the wren at the feeder began to feed and the second "lookout" wren joined in at an adjacent feeder.  It was fascinating to watch.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, floraphile said:

16 Mar 2021 Baldwin co. AL

I  looked out the window to see a Carolina Wren flattened to an incredibly small lump on one of the feeders and in a strange posture.  He was looking at me with a weird, rather imploring expression (realizing I'm anthropomorphizing).  Thinking he might have been injured, or infected with the dreaded Salmonella, I got up to go see about him, but before I opened the door, a Cooper's Hawk swooped down and attempted to pluck a bird from another feeder.   The wren remained as motionless as when I first saw him until a good 7 or 8 minutes had passed, then another Carolina Wren began to sing loudly from a very open & visible perch--I suppose giving the "all-clear".  At this apparent signal, the wren at the feeder began to feed and the second "lookout" wren joined in at an adjacent feeder.  It was fascinating to watch.  

Wow, cool!