Whatbird Community

Weird sparrow( phone pics).

The head pattern from gape up is perfect for SOSP. The bird has only a thin left lateral throat stripe, which would be wrong for a SOSP. However, the terminal portion of that lateral throat stripe -- the widest portion -- is notably present.

I watched the entire video, which shows the head pattern of a SOSP quite well (again, above the gape). What I saw had the bird in one place, mostly immobile. Is that right?

I cannot explain the apparent lack of streaking below, but the head pattern, particularly the crown pattern, does not fit any other sparrow species. Swamp Sparrow has a nearly solid, rufous crown, not brown lateral crown stripes bordering a gray central stripe.

I am wondering about the possibility of a bird still mostly in juv plumage. The bird's back pattern does not fit any sparrow in post-juvenile plumages, and the feathering there seems odd and looks something like very worn juv plumage that I've seen on occasion (although not in SOSP).

If it's not a very odd SOSP, I cannot imagine what that would be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

I am wondering about the possibility of a bird still mostly in juv plumage. The bird's back pattern does not fit any sparrow in post-juvenile plumages, and the feathering there seems odd and looks something like very worn juv plumage that I've seen on occasion (although not in SOSP).

If it's not a very odd SOSP, I cannot imagine what that would be.

Thanks so much tony! Very helpful! I was also wondering about the age, as it was almost acting like a juvenile bird. But in mid March?? It is a very odd bird, as you said, and if I get photos with my camera today, i will show you them.

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Clip said:

Strong wording there but with no actual backing. Here is where I went to reach my conclusion of Brewer's: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=brespa&q=Brewer's Sparrow - Spizella breweri

1. The bird is very rufous overall. Brewer's is a cool gray brown.

2. Brewer's has fine streaking on the crown and bold streaking on the nape, this bird does not

3. Brewer's is a bird of brushy desert, not suburban backyards

4. Structurally, this is all wrong for Brewer's. It's much too bulky, Brewer's is delicate. Look at that honking bill!

Looking at reference photos can be great, but gaining experience in the field with a bird to understand it holistically is far more helpful.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Melierax said:

Agreed with Song. Facial pattern is spot on. Looks like maybe a stunted young bird? It doesn't look very healthy to me. 

yes, certainly not a normal SOSP that we get here. This i took sunday, this is our normal SOSP looks here: 2400?__hstc=264660688.24226e502b56735cb8

12 hours ago, Hasan said:

1. The bird is very rufous overall. Brewer's is a cool gray brown.

2. Brewer's has fine streaking on the crown and bold streaking on the nape, this bird does not

3. Brewer's is a bird of brushy desert, not suburban backyards

4. Structurally, this is all wrong for Brewer's. It's much too bulky, Brewer's is delicate. Look at that honking bill!

Looking at reference photos can be great, but gaining experience in the field with a bird to understand it holistically is far more helpful.

The first photo of the bird shows it to be a cool gray brown. The other photos showing what might be rufous coloring could also be a product of reflection or other lighting or photo issues. The fine streaking can always be made to look more solid when wet or under other conditions like poor health which this bird may have. Structurally this bird does look delicate to me and that bill is tiny and the wrong color for Song. As for habitat an unhealthy bird could very well end up in someones backyard. As for experience don't assume because you have not seen me on this website long that I do not have experience. I have not seen the video for some reason it will not play for me so I could change my mind should I see the video and see something the photos do not show but even Tony L. can't explain the lack of streaking on the chest of this bird and I personally have never seen a Song Sparrow with NO streaking on it's chest.  And come to think of it I had a Brewer's Sparrow in my own backyard in Colorado so your habitat argument doesn't wash at all.

• Haha 1