Whatbird Community

Way too much fun with bugs today. Got some birding into but they didn't cooperate for photos. Plus no lifers or even State birds. Just a couple of year birds. Any day that includes Tiger Beetles for me is a great day though. Dragonfly species unknown, web maker unknown, Festive Tiger Beetle I believe, Caterpillar unknown, Zebra Swallowtail and Common Buckeye (wings closed)

011.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

019.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

047.JPG

055.JPG

065.JPG

071.JPG

Edited by Clip
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

/ ?

P7263423.jpg

Very Cool Bug! I wish we had a good bug person on Whatbird to help with ids. I looked thru my insect book but didn't find anything close. I'm not even sure what category to go to. While my book is good it is not comprehensive even for North America. I think that book you wouldn't be able to lift. Mine is similar to my Sibley's Eastern North America Birds.

57 minutes ago, Clip said:

Those look like ticks🥴 I hope you checked your self for ticks after obtaining this photo.

I think the host bug is a beetle of some sort but I'm not sure if the little ones are ''babies'', mites, ticks or exactly what they are but I was very careful not to touch any of them! 🙂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Clip said:

Very Cool Bug! I wish we had a good bug person on Whatbird to help with ids. I looked thru my insect book but didn't find anything close. I'm not even sure what category to go to. While my book is good it is not comprehensive even for North America. I think that book you wouldn't be able to lift. Mine is similar to my Sibley's Eastern North America Birds.

Thanks! Yes, I wish we did too. After birds, insects are my next favorite thing to photography and to try to ID. I fail most of the time to ID bugs but I keep taking pics anyway.  I looked at every book I have and online also and like you I could not find this bug. For some unexplainable reason I get an ''aphid-y'' vibe tho. 🙂 

• Like 2