Whatbird Community

11 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Thanks! Yes, I wish we did too. After birds, insects are my next favorite thing to photography and to try to ID. I fail most of the time to ID bugs but I keep taking pics anyway.  I looked at every book I have and online also and like you I could not find this bug. For some unexplainable reason I get an ''aphid-y'' vibe tho. 🙂 

You know new species of bugs are discovered all the time still.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Male Megarhyssa macrurus today.  Seeing a male of this species is like seeing a female Painted Bunting.

brownwasp06crop2.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the female for you. This is the only one I have ever seen. Taken summer 2014 in Colorado.

017.JPG

014.JPG

• Like 3

13 hours ago, xpoetmarcr said:

This was from SW Idaho, near Boise.

Thanks.  I should be able to find it in Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West, but I can't.  If you're on Facebook, the people at the Western Odonata group could identify it right away for you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Thanks.  I should be able to find it in Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West, but I can't.  If you're on Facebook, the people at the Western Odonata group could identify it right away for you.

I'm not a Facebook user but I appreciate the info.

Male Hairy-footed Scoliid Wasp, Dielis pilipes.  I'd better learn this one, since they seem common around here--this is the third time I've gotten one identified.

wasp78crop2.thumb.jpg.3165863ccd2251250782cc515431e5d5.jpg

For you fans of Tiger Beat, I mean tiger beetles.  I think this one is the usual one on sandy shores around here, Cicindela tranquebarica, unless it's C. repanda or something else.

tigerbeetle38crop.thumb.jpg.0a20c91628f8293284e52a0c267f270f.jpg

Robber fly of the genus Stichopogon, I was told at BugGuide.  If anyone tells me it's S. trifasciatum, I'll believe them.  Often found with tiger beetles, it seems.

blackgraywhitefly25crop.jpg.eac8fd43d2e3cceeb03cc68711052b88.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Male Hairy-footed Scoliid Wasp, Dielis pilipes.  I'd better learn this one, since they seem common around here--this is the third time I've gotten one identified.

wasp78crop2.thumb.jpg.3165863ccd2251250782cc515431e5d5.jpg

For you fans of Tiger Beat, I mean tiger beetles.  I think this one is the usual one on sandy shores around here, Cicindela tranquebarica, unless it's C. repanda or something else.

tigerbeetle38crop.thumb.jpg.0a20c91628f8293284e52a0c267f270f.jpg

Robber fly of the genus Stichopogon, I was told at BugGuide.  If anyone tells me it's S. trifasciatum, I'll believe them.  Often found with tiger beetles, it seems.

blackgraywhitefly25crop.jpg.eac8fd43d2e3cceeb03cc68711052b88.jpg

Love the Tiger Beetle! How did you get your Tiger Beetle Ided?

Edited by Clip