Whatbird Community

19 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I got one ID-ed as  C. tranquebarica at BugGuide back in... 2010.  This one looks a lot like it, but as I said, I'm not sure.

I really do like Tiger Beetles and I have photographed a number of species. I have had most of them id on a Facebook page for North America Tiger Beetles. I left Facebook and do not intend to return but prior to that I looked into getting a book but they want $80.00 for it. Which I thought was outrageous. I have not been on Bug Guide for some time but I always found it confusing and it took a long time to get ides.

18 hours ago, Clip said:

I really do like Tiger Beetles and I have photographed a number of species. I have had most of them id on a Facebook page for North America Tiger Beetles. I left Facebook and do not intend to return but prior to that I looked into getting a book but they want $80.00 for it. Which I thought was outrageous. I have not been on Bug Guide for some time but I always found it confusing and it took a long time to get ides.

More nice beetles.

By the way, another way for you to get that dragon identified is to make a sign-in at Odonata Central and upload it there.  I think you'll get an answer pretty quickly.  (I'm starting to wonder whether it's a teneral (recently emerged) Western Pondhawk that confused me with its undeveloped colors.)

I don't think there's a Cicindelidae Central though.

19 hours ago, BirdNrd said:

Anyone know what these are?

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

The first one looks like a sister, and if it was in California, I'm going to guess California Sister.  

California Sister Butterfly, Adelpha californica

The second looks like some kind of skipper. Also it has a jack-o-lantern face on the back (specifically on the hindwings).

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 8:17 AM, Kevin said:

Any Ids would be welcome!

DSCN9101.JPG

DSCN9105.JPG

DSCN9117.JPG

DSCN9124.JPG

DSCN9125.JPG

DSCN9123.JPG

DSCN9119.JPG

DSCN9116.JPG

DSCN9121.JPG

DSCN9115.JPG

There are about 10,000 species of moths in the U.S. and Canada, mostly "micromoths".  One of the best birders I know is also into butterflies and dragonflies.  His wife told him that if he got into moths, she'd divorce him.

Which is a long way of saying that I have no idea what these are.  Well, almost no idea.  The big black and gray one looks like some sphinx moths.  There are probably good places to get these beasts, especially the bigger and more distinctive ones, identified.

8 hours ago, xpoetmarcr said:

Tule bluet damselfly

BirdForum-1773.jpg.c890f2b7e2479e4541432d6ff5fc9235.jpg

Nice shot, but a very difficult ID.  Paulson says female Tule Bluet can be distinguished from Arroyo, Familiar, River, Hagen's, and Marsh Bluets "only by looking at mesostigmal plates in hand."  Female Boreal and Northern Bluets are also very similar.  Of course, maybe only one of these species occurs where you took the picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Nice shot, but a very difficult ID.  Paulson says female Tule Bluet can be distinguished from Arroyo, Familiar, River, Hagen's, and Marsh Bluets "only by looking at mesostigmal plates in hand."  Female Boreal and Northern Bluets are also very similar.  Of course, maybe only one of these species occurs where you took the picture.

I'm not an expert, and it was the closest ID that I could find. I'm willing to be corrected, of course. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xpoetmarcr said:

I'm not an expert, and it was the closest ID that I could find. I'm willing to be corrected, of course. 

For female bluets, you often have to go with "Bluet sp", I'd say.  The male Tule Bluet does have a similar pattern on the abdomen, which is more distinctive for males.

• Like 1