Whatbird Community

16 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Off the subject, do you know the name of that flower?  It looks like one I'm trying to identify.  (And do we need a flower thread?)

I do not know the name, unfortunately. If you want a flower thread, we could do that....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clip said:

You're welcome! Butterflies I can help with unless you are talking skippers they can be tough.

I was fairly certain Western Tiger Swallowtail was correct but I've misidentified a few before so I sorta quit doing it just to save myself embarrassment, lol! But, I certainly appreciate your help. Yes, those little skippers are a bugger to ID. 

3 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

I was fairly certain Western Tiger Swallowtail was correct but I've misidentified a few before so I sorta quit doing it just to save myself embarrassment, lol! But, I certainly appreciate your help. Yes, those little skippers are a bugger to ID. 

They can be. Some are not too bad but others oh my. I have a file folder full of Butterflies I have them all ided and labeled except a few Skippers.

2 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Fly or maybe a Bee, not sure which / ?

ACtC-3dUiCUumYMT8p_6xxn4zRyh-4Z2YM4FEf09gRrGXM1BEiq6cK0kXynpAUpFvJiYT_3zdvehSdYpbYavfqGDAAVIbgX8wNq3ZXtpoZZoTrVWxKVHYASDc9jRnO2xRuxyx5atqsb4Q_Fjt9j3TuBo4mm0kQ=w920-h612-no?authuser=0

If I'm not mistaken, both guesses are right--it's a bee fly ? family Bombyliidae.  I think you can see that it has only one pair of wings, and its antennae are much shorter than a bee's, so it's a fly.  Don't panic, but it might be a species of the genus Anthrax.  https://bugguide.net/node/view/95586

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

If I'm not mistaken, both guesses are right--it's a bee fly ? family Bombyliidae.  I think you can see that it has only one pair of wings, and its antennae are much shorter than a bee's, so it's a fly.  Don't panic, but it might be a species of the genus Anthrax.  https://bugguide.net/node/view/95586

Thanks again! The photo was taken in JUL 2009 so it is a little late for panicing, lol! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Looks like a meadowhawk, Sympterum sp.  I'm thinking maybe White-faced Meadowhawk.

Your next picture does indeed have honeybees, and I think the next one does have bugs (Heteroptera).

Ok, thanks!  I thought maybe it was a Variegated Meadowhawk. ?

• Like 1