Whatbird Community

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sulphur Pacific Forktail California Darner Neoneides muticus Silvery Blue Unknown Crane fly

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Off the subject, do you know the name of that flower?  It looks like one I'm trying to identify.  (And do we need a flower thread?)

I do not know the name, unfortunately. If you want a flower thread, we could do that....

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I do not know the name, unfortunately. If you want a flower thread, we could do that....

Thanks anyway.

If there is interest in a flower thread, maybe it should be a plant thread in general, including fruits, cool trees, etc.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, IKLland said:

It might be helpful to know if the plant was growing along the roadside, in a flower garden or just in someone's yard. Thanks! 🙂

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Clip said:

You're welcome! Butterflies I can help with unless you are talking skippers they can be tough.

I was fairly certain Western Tiger Swallowtail was correct but I've misidentified a few before so I sorta quit doing it just to save myself embarrassment, lol! But, I certainly appreciate your help. Yes, those little skippers are a bugger to ID. 

3 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

I was fairly certain Western Tiger Swallowtail was correct but I've misidentified a few before so I sorta quit doing it just to save myself embarrassment, lol! But, I certainly appreciate your help. Yes, those little skippers are a bugger to ID. 

They can be. Some are not too bad but others oh my. I have a file folder full of Butterflies I have them all ided and labeled except a few Skippers.

2 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Fly or maybe a Bee, not sure which / ?

ACtC-3dUiCUumYMT8p_6xxn4zRyh-4Z2YM4FEf09gRrGXM1BEiq6cK0kXynpAUpFvJiYT_3zdvehSdYpbYavfqGDAAVIbgX8wNq3ZXtpoZZoTrVWxKVHYASDc9jRnO2xRuxyx5atqsb4Q_Fjt9j3TuBo4mm0kQ=w920-h612-no?authuser=0

If I'm not mistaken, both guesses are right--it's a bee fly 🙂 family Bombyliidae.  I think you can see that it has only one pair of wings, and its antennae are much shorter than a bee's, so it's a fly.  Don't panic, but it might be a species of the genus Anthrax.  https://bugguide.net/node/view/95586

2 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Dragonfly / ?

ACtC-3d-v3u9CLTf3iECfKzxaufc70jnEpVNfvo1nag5yug44pqLU3ef4cOcU4rM5CIOFhbG9r5BrLV0DgU-4WoehSBoEtiMU-AJxih3sbwXrEgEy8vHFsmcIvo9GWqvFRJWG2_JJxMId8HNQ0xzYlCO0V7bMA=w920-h690-no?authuser=0

Looks like a meadowhawk, Sympterum sp.  I'm thinking maybe White-faced Meadowhawk.

Your next picture does indeed have honeybees, and I think the next one does have bugs (Heteroptera).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

If I'm not mistaken, both guesses are right--it's a bee fly 🙂 family Bombyliidae.  I think you can see that it has only one pair of wings, and its antennae are much shorter than a bee's, so it's a fly.  Don't panic, but it might be a species of the genus Anthrax.  https://bugguide.net/node/view/95586

Thanks again! The photo was taken in JUL 2009 so it is a little late for panicing, lol! 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Looks like a meadowhawk, Sympterum sp.  I'm thinking maybe White-faced Meadowhawk.

Your next picture does indeed have honeybees, and I think the next one does have bugs (Heteroptera).

Ok, thanks!  I thought maybe it was a Variegated Meadowhawk. 🙂

• Like 1