Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

 

Now that I have a camera that does so much better on bugs I am going to need y'all's expert bug identifying advise. 😉

Also will some one please explain to spell check that y'all's is a word around here? 

Dragonfly? 

DSCN0350.JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

 

Now that I have a camera that does so much better on bugs I am going to need y'all's expert bug identifying advise. 😉

Also will some one please explain to spell check that y'all's is a word around here? 

Dragonfly? 

DSCN0350.JPG

I don't think it would do any good to try to explain anything to spell check! From some of the results I've seen on here from spell check taking over, I think it's pretty hopeless!!! And yes, I agree with @Kevin , y'all's is a word. I've been using it all my life!! ☺️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kevin said:

 

Now that I have a camera that does so much better on bugs I am going to need y'all's expert bug identifying advise. 😉

Also will some one please explain to spell check that y'all's is a word around here? 

Dragonfly? 

DSCN0350.JPG

 

Male Widow Skimmer, American Rubyspot (a damselfly) I think, and female Common Whitetail (which I always have to look up to tell them from female Twelve-spotted Skimmers).

That's a very cute spider.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

I don't think it would do any good to try to explain anything to spell check! From some of the results I've seen on here from spell check taking over, I think it's pretty hopeless!!! And yes, I agree with @Kevin , y'all's is a word. I've been using it all my life!! ☺️

That's auto correct. Spell check is what gives you the red squiggly line underneath the words. It just telling you it thinks it is spelled wrong it does not change it though.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jerry Friedman said:

 

Male Widow Skimmer, American Rubyspot (a damselfly) I think, and female Common Whitetail (which I always have to look up to tell them from female Twelve-spotted Skimmers).

That's a very cute spider.

Thank you very much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

That's auto correct. Spell check is what gives you the red squiggly line underneath the words. It just telling you it thinks it is spelled wrong it does not change it though.

Oh, OK. Shows you how up to date I am!! Yeah, I have the red squiggly line, but I don't have auto correct. I can make enough mistakes on my own without the help of auto correct to make things worse!!

Edited by Bird Brain
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Oh, OK. Shows you how up to date I am!! Yeah, I have the red squiggly line, but I don't have auto correct. I can make enough mistakes on my own without the help of auto correct to make things worse!!

Exactly!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Hummingbird Moth

Needham's Skimmer

 

Hummingbird Moth (Hemaris thysbe).jpg

Needham's Skimmer.jpg

Love the hummingbird moth especially. Did it land or is your camera just that good? If it did land how long to you have to wait for it to land? I have only seen a couple of moths in the hummingbird family but dang they don't land. Especially, not long enough to get a photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clip said:

Love the hummingbird moth especially. Did it land or is your camera just that good? If it did land how long to you have to wait for it to land? I have only seen a couple of moths in the hummingbird family but dang they don't land. Especially, not long enough to get a photo.

It is flying, I don't see how I could be perched like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Clip said:

Love the hummingbird moth especially. Did it land or is your camera just that good? If it did land how long to you have to wait for it to land? I have only seen a couple of moths in the hummingbird family but dang they don't land. Especially, not long enough to get a photo.

 

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

It is flying, I don't see how I could be perched like that.

 

6 hours ago, Clip said:

I don't know I think I see feet touching down. We'll have to wait to see what @stitch58has to say.

Thanks! It was still flying although I think it was using it's front legs to hold itself in place since it was a bit breezy. I was using a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec. to freeze things up but even with that I still had to take lots of shots just to get a few usable ones. Between the breeze blowing the flowers around & the moths moving it was tough getting the focus right. Luckily this place had probably close to  a hundred of them, most I've ever seen in one area!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, stitch58 said:

 

 

Thanks! It was still flying although I think it was using it's front legs to hold itself in place since it was a bit breezy. I was using a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec. to freeze things up but even with that I still had to take lots of shots just to get a few usable ones. Between the breeze blowing the flowers around & the moths moving it was tough getting the focus right. Luckily this place had probably close to  a hundred of them, most I've ever seen in one area!

Excellent photo of a moth not easy to get photos of!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 6:36 AM, Clip said:

My husband and I were killing some time yesterday late afternoon and stopped at a nearby birding hot spot. As you can probably tell I never just bird. Any way I spotted what I thought might be a Tiger Beetle it flew but then this one caught my eye. It did not fly but it did not hold still either and unlike most of the tiger beetles I encounter it moved into cover. I got these not great photos. I do not have a book for iding Tiger Beetles as I'm not willing to spend $80.00 for one. I looked around online a bit without finding a match. I'm not even sure this is a Tiger Beetle. Does any one here have an idea what it might be? Taken in NE Florida.

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

I found the id for this Tiger Beetle. Meet: Megacephala carolina This: https://www.insectidentification.org/ is not where I found my id for this Tiger Beetle but I happened across it this morning and I liked it. I have a feeling I will be visiting it often. I'm sharing it here because I have another feeling that others here may like it as well. It seems pretty user friendly and geared towards the casual observer of bugs. It doesn't look to be as comprehensive as say BugGuide but it does look to be more user friendly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never see a hummingbird moth little lone two! 

It rained this morning(Which is absolutely crazy!), so it was very humid so my camera really wanted to fog up bad. 

Nessus Sphinx (Amphion floridensis)

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN0407.JPG

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...