Whatbird Community

• 2 weeks later...

Little Yellow from Sunday. It may only be February but here in Florida that is the beginning of spring for some of it's inhabitants. We saw saw several butterflies out and about on Sunday in Brevard County, FL., mostly Southern Whites. The Southern Whites forgot their southern manors and would land for photos. The Little Yellow did though.

245.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, chipperatl said:

New moth for me (at least 1st on iNat), that really stuck out when it was flying around.  Common Spring Moth

original.jpg

Interesting iridescent speckles. 

A couple new moths (according to iNat), just waiting on iNat confirmation but pretty confident.  

Oak Beauty

original.jpg

Leconte's Haploa Moth (probably same LeConte as the Sparrow and Thrasher are named after)

large.jpg

I think this is a new Odonata

Northern Emerald Spreadwing

original.jpg

• Like 5

A moth I've been wanting to see for a while...Hologram Moth.  Wish I'd have gotten better pics.  My soft box is too soft for my zoom lens to be on it.  I'm going to have to break down and get a macro lens at some  point.  Kit lens are my only other ones, and those don't quite cut it either.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Another new one

Yellow-fringed Dolichomia Moth

original.jpg

I think this is a Little Glassywing

original.jpg

Not a new one, but a new angle.  Nice Painted Bunting impression on the body of this Oak Leafroller Moth

original.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

A moth I've been wanting to see for a while...Hologram Moth.  Wish I'd have gotten better pics.  My soft box is too soft for my zoom lens to be on it.  I'm going to have to break down and get a macro lens at some  point.  Kit lens are my only other ones, and those don't quite cut it either.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Another new one

Yellow-fringed Dolichomia Moth

original.jpg

I think this is a Little Glassywing

original.jpg

Not a new one, but a new angle.  Nice Painted Bunting impression on the body of this Oak Leafroller Moth

original.jpg

Nice!  Do you keep a moth list?  Mine's at 318 species so far.

Here's my Hologram Moth

large.jpeg

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 5

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

Nice!  Do you keep a list?  Mine's at 318 species so far.

Here's my Hologram Moth

large.jpeg

That is such a great shot!!!!  

I just have whatever iNaturalist keeps for me. I know I have a ton that I ether haven't uploaded, or don't have ID's on.  Hard to try to get them separated out from the Butterflies.  Including Butterflies it is 289 confirmed, of 383 uploaded.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Nice!  Do you keep a moth list?  Mine's at 318 species so far.

I think I finally have a list pulled from iNat, and Butterflies separated and shows the following.  Not sure how to separate out the confirmed, and not confirmed.  

Moths - 322

Butterfly - 33

Odonata - 16

Mammals - 28

• Like 2