Whatbird Community

Hoping tomorrow I feel up to going out to try for some bird photos.  For tonight settling for new moths

Boxwood Leaftier Moth

original.jpg

Acorn Moth

original.jpg

Cherry Shoot Borer Moth

original.jpg

Not a first, but first time I've seen Morning Glory Prominent show off those blue/green/purple colors.

original.jpg

• Like 5

My first time seeing the adult form of the Banded Tussock Moth.  Great looking moth.

original.jpg

Lifer Veiled Ear Moth

original.jpg

Pretty sure sternidius alpha

original.jpg

Pretty sure this is a seldom reported Little Grey Firefly.  That screw head is only 8 mm in diameter, so he was much smaller than what I am used to seeing light up around here.

original.jpg

Oriental Beetle

original.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

One of my favorites!  No Sycamore Tussock Moths there (they are identical)?

It might be.  It isn’t in my Peterson guide.  Hard to tell but the bands may not go all the way across.  Banded is more common according to iNat than Sycamore here.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

One of my favorites!  No Sycamore Tussock Moths there (they are identical)?

2 hours ago, chipperatl said:

It might be.  It isn’t in my Peterson guide.  Hard to tell but the bands may not go all the way across.  Banded is more common according to iNat than Sycamore here.  

Apparently in the East these two can only be separated by looking at their internal naughty bits.  Probably Banded considering I've seen plenty of the caterpillar through the years.  

• Like 1

I'll put this here since I can't find the thread for spiders! This was on the outside of my kitchen window today, so I went out and snapped a couple of photos. Never seen one that looks just like this and wondered if anyone could ID it. It's length was about the diameter of a dime.

EDIT: It didn't move like a jumper.

IMG_3557

IMG_3559

Edited by Bird Brain
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Anyone good with caterpillars? Seen today in northern NJ. From the way it was moving I think the head was actually on the left end & it was about an inch long.

IMG_1316.jpg

Found out from a friend, Red-spotted Purple Butterfly.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:44 PM, Bird Brain said:

I'll put this here since I can't find the thread for spiders! This was on the outside of my kitchen window today, so I went out and snapped a couple of photos. Never seen one that looks just like this and wondered if anyone could ID it. It's length was about the diameter of a dime.

EDIT: It didn't move like a jumper.

IMG_3557

IMG_3559

Seek app says - Half-edged Wall Jumping Spider.  Pics on iNat look similar.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

Seek app says - Half-edged Wall Jumping Spider.  Pics on iNat look similar.  

Thank you, I believe that's it! I've never seen one just like that before. We have lots of Jumping Spiders here, but this one is a first of it's kind for me. 

• Like 1

My first day out in the field in 3 weeks, and I blew some great shots of my first Clearwing.  Snowberry Clearwing flying 6 feet away from me.  I didn't grab my camera, because I was letting my dog stretch his legs.  By the time I got back to the truck to get camera, and get back to the flowers it was gone.  Phone pics are bad, so this video will have to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Very jealous of this.  Great shot!!   Such a cool bir....moth.  

Thanks! Luckily they're fairly common at this spot. They move quick though & it was also windy so if 1 out 50 shots turn out okay you're doing good.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, stitch58 said:

Found out from a friend, Red-spotted Purple Butterfly.

Here is the butterfly for those interested. Red-spotted Purple Admiral

004 (3).JPG

• Like 1