Whatbird Community

On 7/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, chipperatl said:

Tormentose Burying Beetle

large.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the same species enjoying a gourmet meal of dead fish with some friends.

025 (2).JPG

027.JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Clip said:

Here are a couple of photos of the same species enjoying a gourmet meal of dead fish with some friends.

025 (2).JPG

027.JPG

I thought it was a bee buzzing around until I took the pic and saw the Red on it.  

• Like 1

The inability, so far, to get this macro lens to hold focus, even in MF, is not going over well for me so far.  Taking multiple shots to try to get something to work with.  Now I know why the pros keep saying they prefer MF lenses.  

Ivory-marked Borer 

original.jpg

Unicorn Prominent

original.jpg

Monarch caterpillar

original.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chipperatl said:

The inability, so far, to get this macro lens to hold focus, even in MF, is not going over well for me so far.  

Do you mind sharing which specific lens you're referring to?  I'm not currently shopping but I've been disappointed with macro lens performance in the past and don't want to make the same mistake in the mirrorless format.

58 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Do you mind sharing which specific lens you're referring to?  I'm not currently shopping but I've been disappointed with macro lens performance in the past and don't want to make the same mistake in the mirrorless format.

I shelled out for the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.  I figured out the setting to get the focus to not move when in MF.  It is tough for it to get focus in AF when you add an extension tube and Raynox 250.  With just the lens on it, it is pretty quick to focus.  I could see myself in a few years maybe getting one of the cheaper manual ones.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I shelled out for the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.  I figured out the setting to get the focus to not move when in MF.  It is tough for it to get focus in AF when you add an extension tube and Raynox 250.  With just the lens on it, it is pretty quick to focus.  I could see myself in a few years maybe getting one of the cheaper manual ones.  

You probably are but just wanted to ask if you’re using the focus limiting switch? I have the same lens & found that I have much better luck when using it. I’ve never used it with an extension tube though so I imagine that would be more difficult.

2 hours ago, stitch58 said:

You probably are but just wanted to ask if you’re using the focus limiting switch? I have the same lens & found that I have much better luck when using it. I’ve never used it with an extension tube though so I imagine that would be more difficult.

Yeah the extension tube really lowers the distance at which you can max focus.  My maximum working distance with it on is like 18 inches.  You can forget about AF if the Raynox 250 is on with the extension tube. 

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 1

Meet a cicada killer-Eastern Cicada-killer Wasp (Sphecius speciosus)

This was my first time seeing one of these. I think I should have a bruised chin from my jaw dropping to the ground, seeing how large it was. As I researched trying to get an id I saw one photo of this species with a measuring stick next to it. It was a full 4 inches. I don't think this one was quite that big.

014 (6).JPG

Edited by Clip
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Clip said:

Meet a cicada killer-Eastern Cicada-killer Wasp (Sphecius speciosus)

This was my first time seeing one of these. I think I should have a bruised chin from my jaw dropping to the ground, seeing how large it was. As I researched trying to get an id I saw one photo of this species with a measuring stick next to it. It was a full 4 inches. I don't think this one was quite that big.

014 (6).JPG

They are BEASTS!!!   I have a pic somewhere of one actually carrying a cicada.  As big as it was it could still barely fly with the cicada.

.Found it posted on iNat.  https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/28493074

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

They are BEASTS!!!   I have a pic somewhere of one actually carrying a cicada.  As big as it was it could still barely fly with the cicada.

.Found it posted on iNat.  https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/28493074

Interesting seeing it in action. The one I saw had a nest right at the edge of a heavily used sidewalk at Salt Springs Recreation Area in Marion County, FL. Not a very good pic but I'm pretty sure that is the entrance to it's nest. Do you know how to tell male from female?

012.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Clip said:

Interesting seeing it in action. The one I saw had a nest right at the edge of a heavily used sidewalk at Salt Springs Recreation Area in Marion County, FL. Not a very good pic but I'm pretty sure that is the entrance to it's nest. Do you know how to tell male from female?

012.JPG

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/51954-Sphecius-speciosus

If there is a burrow it is a female, as according to above link they have special rear legs to move the dirt.  They are also bigger.  There is quite the range of sizes, with males smaller.   Females are also only ones that hunt the cicada.   

Edited by chipperatl
  • Thanks 1

I am loving the MF12 Macro light system!!!  My moth photos are so much better than just the Speedlight/diffuser combo.  I just need to figure out how to diffuse the flashes, instead of bouncing them.  

Pink-shaded Fern Moth.  I've seen this one, once before, but the pic I have really didn't show the pink it.  

20220728-11a7176_orig.jpg

Two-marked Treehopper

20220727-11a7068_orig.jpg

I usually just ignore the grass veneers, but this one had some nice color to it.  Topiary Grass-Veneer

original.jpg

• Like 4

The pattern in this Striped Deer Fly was very cool. Wasn't related to the flash either as it was visible in the EVF.

original.jpg

Pretty sure this beast is a lifer Yellow-Gray Underwing.  I missed the shot the first time it showed up, but luckily it came back and was very cooperative.  

original.jpg

White-ribboned Carpet Moth.

original.jpg

Autumn Meadowhawk closeup.

large.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Clip said:

@chipperatlHow do you find all these moths? I have tried a few times to attract some with bright light and a white sheet at night with very minimal success.

I’m very blessed by my location.  While I have a very small lot, I am surrounded by 100+ acres of fields to South, nearly that of woods to South=east, backwater of lake to West and am tucked into a spot surrounded by a smaller plot of hardwood trees.  

I haven’t had any moths for past 2 years til I was reminded, by a dear friend how she liked seeing my moth photos.  I pulled out the LED bulbs from my porch and stuck incandescent bulbs back in.  That night I had tons of moths.  99% of my moths are walking about 10 feet side to side across the side of my house between those two porch lights.

• Like 2

This might be the craziest, and rarest, moths I have seen.  I thought it was some fuzzy fly at first, as it moved around like one.  I am pretty sure it is a Peacock Brenthia Moth.  I don't see any sightings on BAMONA, Moth Photographers Group, BugGuide, or iNat yet.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

False Crocus Geometer

https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/218384429/original.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I’m very blessed by my location.  While I have a very small lot, I am surrounded by 100+ acres of fields to South, nearly that of woods to South=east, backwater of lake to West and am tucked into a spot surrounded by a smaller plot of hardwood trees.  

I haven’t had any moths for past 2 years til I was reminded, by a dear friend how she liked seeing my moth photos.  I pulled out the LED bulbs from my porch and stuck incandescent bulbs back in.  That night I had tons of moths.  99% of my moths are walking about 10 feet side to side across the side of my house between those two porch lights.

Thanks! The incandescent bulb just maybe the key here. We used an LED. Now to find an incandescent bulb.