Whatbird Community

10 hours ago, chipperatl said:

original.jpgoriginal.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Awesome photos! What the heck is that 2nd bug? I think I have seen something similar on our back patio but I can't find the photo nor was it nearly as zoomed as yours. It just looked like a tiny blob of debris moving slowly around the patio. Wasn't sure if it was a bug carrying stuff on it's back or if it was all bug. My photo which like I said is not nearly as zoomed in as yours showed no face or legs...like yours does. Amazing photos!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clip said:

Awesome photos! What the heck is that 2nd bug? I think I have seen something similar on our back patio but I can't find the photo nor was it nearly as zoomed as yours. It just looked like a tiny blob of debris moving slowly around the patio. Wasn't sure if it was a bug carrying stuff on it's back or if it was all bug. My photo which like I said is not nearly as zoomed in as yours showed no face or legs...like yours does. Amazing photos!

It is called "Aphid Lion", but is really the larvae of a Lacewing.  All that debris on its back are bugs it has killed and eaten.  Very weird when this clump of stuff starts moving.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chipperatl said:

It is called "Aphid Lion", but is really the larvae of a Lacewing.  All that debris on its back are bugs it has killed and eaten.  Very weird when this clump of stuff starts moving.  

Wow that is very interesting!

Filbertworm Moth - my attempt at a 4 stack image.  I really need to watch more on the PS part of the process.  

original.jpg

Common Eastern Firefly

original.jpg

I think this is a Swamp Spreadwing, but no confirmation yet.

original.jpg

A leafhopper

original.jpg

Another "Aphid Lion" you can see the pieces on its back that help to hold its "trophies" on.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Some kind of Stiletto Fly

original.jpg

Some kind of fly

original.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/29/2022 at 12:54 AM, chipperatl said:

Pretty sure this beast is a lifer Yellow-Gray Underwing.  I missed the shot the first time it showed up, but luckily it came back and was very cooperative.  

original.jpg

Turns out this might be first Michigan confirmation of a Dejected Underwing.  It isn't even in my Peterson's Guide. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Filbertworm Moth - my attempt at a 4 stack image.  I really need to watch more on the PS part of the process.  

original.jpg

Common Eastern Firefly

original.jpg

I think this is a Swamp Spreadwing, but no confirmation yet.

original.jpg

A leafhopper

original.jpg

Another "Aphid Lion" you can see the pieces on its back that help to hold its "trophies" on.  

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Some kind of Stiletto Fly

original.jpg

Some kind of fly

original.jpg

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 7/31/2022 at 9:42 AM, chipperatl said:

Here is my photo what I think might also be an Aphid Lion or something similar. Sadly, my camera is not as good as yours in getting those super close up shots especially on close up subjects. But, you can see it looks like a tiny ball of debris but it was moving around in away that could not be explained by a breeze..So there is a something under there. This was on our back patio in NE Florida.

017 (12).JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clip said:

Here is my photo what I think might also be an Aphid Lion or something similar. Sadly, my camera is not as good as yours in getting those super close up shots especially on close up subjects. But, you can see it looks like a tiny ball of debris but it was moving around in away that could not be explained by a breeze..So there is a something under there. This was on our back patio in NE Florida.

017 (12).JPG

Wow it has some big pieces attached to it!!!!

The male version of the Scorpionfly

original.jpg

original.jpg

Some flys doing something

original.jpg

Adult Antlion

original.jpg

Brown Prionid Beetle

original.jpg

Never seen a fly with red eyes before.  I thought this thing had mites attached to its head.

original.jpg

Leafhopper chilling on an Autumn Meadowhawk's wing.

original.jpg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 4