Whatbird Community

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of butterflies flying around so I tried to catch this one as it flew across the yard. Not a huge butterfly, but the dandelion gives a good comparative for it's size, which is more relevant in the next photo.

DL6A0698.thumb.jpg.70f7a411480f718f10f74637c795fb41.jpg

The size of this spider is really hard to judge due to it being hunched up while it feeds on a butterfly similar in size to the one above, possibly the same one. Notice the spider's body is almost as long as the butterfly. I suspect the spider actual shrunk considerably since I first noticed it, because it was MUCH larger when I first discovered it crawling up my pant leg the day before.

DL6A0928.thumb.jpg.b406bca06ca0f2635a68db9de08982dc.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2023 at 5:20 PM, Johnd said:

Any one know this caterpillar?

Today N Texas feeding on my herbs sage specifically

Caterpillar on sage

I was taken to flickr but not to your caterpillar photo. I highly recommend iNaturalist for bug identification.

• 4 months later...

Apple Spinx, Giant Leopard Moth, Rosy Maple Moth, Crane Fly?, Unknown Moth,  Zebra Longhorn Beetle and Giant Katydid. All from our adventures on April's fool Day in Baker County, FL. All but two are first for me. My favorite, though not the rarest, is the Rosy Maple Moth. The rare one is the Apple Sphinx.

Why is it so hard to positive ids on crane flies?

DSCN2796.JPG

DSCN2814.JPG

DSCN2821.JPG

DSCN2794.JPG

DSCN2799.JPG

DSCN2707.JPG

DSCN2804.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, neilpa said:

You could try https://bugguide.net/

I’ve used it a few times to varying degrees of success when I didn’t have luck with iNat

Thanks, Neilpa. I have used bugguide in the past. I have never found them very user friendly. Answers often take forever. Life is too short. In other words I'm curious but not that curious I guess. For those that are though it is a good resource.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, IKLland said:

What do y’all use to photograph bugs? My lens can’t focus within 10 feet which is really a pain for bugs, and a phone isn’t quite good enough for me.

Minimum focus distance is something I always consider when buying a lens. My Canon 100-500mm can focus down to 3-4 feet which works great for bugs, flowers, and even birds if you're lucky enough to get a small enough one to land close enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, IKLland said:

What do y’all use to photograph bugs? My lens can’t focus within 10 feet which is really a pain for bugs, and a phone isn’t quite good enough for me.

This is mostly what I use since it's the gear I have on hand. I've got the Sigma 150-600 (same as you?) and can get good shots for the larger stuff like butterflies and dragonflies. Otherwise it's generally good enough for ID purposes.

If your goal is better pics, then you might consider a dedicated macro setup. I bought a cheap set of extension tubes and flash that I use on my original kit camera w/ the 18-55 lens. Focusing is a pain since you have to get super close which usually scares the bug. It can get better results, but most of the shots are throwaways. It's also another camera to carry so I rarely use it, just occasional shooting in the backyard. I've considered getting a better macro lens but I'm not sure I'd use it enough.

@chipperatl and @The Bird Nuts might have more advice. They've written some on doing macro photography earlier in this thread or on the dedicated macro one

Edited by neilpa
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 11:14 AM, IKLland said:

I have a Canon 100mm macro but don’t usually carry it with me unless I’m going to specifically shoot closeup subjects. Usually though I’ll use the Sigma 150-600 or Canon 400mm 5.6 & I’ll shoot from further away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1